Tips for graduate without experience

Watch
route255
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Looking for graduate position. I have retail experience with transferable skills, but dont have any industry experience. I have experience from uni modules on reports, (Construction degree) so similar to the role.

Should I apply for jobs that require experience?, i have done last few weeks to two and knocked back quickly.

Or should I just be asking for work experience?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
your decision
route255
Rep:
?
I think i should reword this, anyone had experience of trying to get work experience as a graduate?
DuckDodgers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by route255)
I think i should reword this, anyone had experience of trying to get work experience as a graduate?
Yes but it depends on your industry. I always recommend it though because going from grad to job is really tough.

As somebody who works in comms, I contacted local employers to ask about volunteering opportunities and found them accommodating (people love free work). I wrote copy for websites, worked with arts organisations on marketing tasks, and handled data entry for startups. It helped a lot in my early career - both in terms of skills and confidence gained.

I suggest having a think about your industry and working out how this might be appropriate for you.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 1 month ago
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
Yes but it depends on your industry. I always recommend it though because going from grad to job is really tough.

As somebody who works in comms, I contacted local employers to ask about volunteering opportunities and found them accommodating (people love free work). I wrote copy for websites, worked with arts organisations on marketing tasks, and handled data entry for startups. It helped a lot in my early career - both in terms of skills and confidence gained.

I suggest having a think about your industry and working out how this might be appropriate for you.
Thanks!

Construction industry, the roles involve visiting sites doing surveys and time spent in office doing reports. Contacted a few places so far and they aren't doing work experience. Others no response. Phoning them may be a better course of action.

I was worried as asking for work experience, they may wonder why I'm not asking for a job outright!
blogr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A great way to gain experience is to create your own blog! This could be your own website, or an Instagram blog page. It shows employers that you're passionate about a topic and it's a way for you to showcase your skills eg if you wanted to get into marketing, creating a marketing page on instagram and sharing marketing tips and tricks would be a great start! @helloblogr on Instagram has different advice for blogging!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (67)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.73%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed