The Student Room Group

Student finance situation :/

My parents are moving to New Zealand in February and I'm in year 13 and am going to go to Uni in the UK. My parents will no longer have a UK based income and I will be able to receive little support from them when it comes to money. As maintenance loans are based off your legal guardians last tax year, I would receive the smallest loan which I wouldn't be able to live off as it has to cover my accommodation and food and travel necessities. What should I do? Call student finance? My parents will no longer have any UK income so I could be eligible for a higher maintenance loan. So I think I should call them? Is it worth it?
Original post by Maddy.Perks
My parents are moving to New Zealand in February and I'm in year 13 and am going to go to Uni in the UK. My parents will no longer have a UK based income and I will be able to receive little support from them when it comes to money. As maintenance loans are based off your legal guardians last tax year, I would receive the smallest loan which I wouldn't be able to live off as it has to cover my accommodation and food and travel necessities. What should I do? Call student finance? My parents will no longer have any UK income so I could be eligible for a higher maintenance loan. So I think I should call them? Is it worth it?

I am not sure this would get you independent student status or more parents would abandon their children and live abroad. If you are classed as independent then its based off your income and you normally get the max. Fastest way rather than me looking it up is to ask on the sfe sub forum
and Isaac can confirm it to you.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

You can also check with UKcisa
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I am not sure this would get you independent student status or more parents would abandon their children and live abroad. If you are classed as independent then its based off your income and you normally get the max. Fastest way rather than me looking it up is to ask on the sfe sub forum
and Isaac can confirm it to you.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

You can also check with UKcisa

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending