Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
f(x)=(ax^2+bx+c)/(x^2+dx+e) a is not 0
f(x) has no roots or vertical asymptotes, has a maximum at 2, minimum at 0.5, y intercept at (0,1.5)
show that (b-0.5d)^2=(b-2d)^2=2e

I am really not sure how to approach this question, I have tried making f(x)=k and find an equation for the discriminant but this has not given the right answer, how would I go about answering this question?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emily~3695)
f(x) has no roots or vertical asymptotes, has a maximum at 2, minimum at 0.5, y intercept at (0,1.5)

I am really not sure how to approach this question, I have tried making f(x)=k and find an equation for the discriminant but this has not given the right answer, how would I go about answering this question?
I guess you've got to at least differentiate and consider the stationary points at x=2 and 0.5?
You could try making the fraction proper, but id guess this may not be necessary?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
Emily~3695
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
I guess you've got to at least differentiate and consider the stationary points at x=2 and 0.5?
You could try making the fraction proper, but id guess this may not be necessary?
This is year 12 Further maths so I don’t know how to differentiate fractions like this yet, in class we have found the stationary points by using the discriminant but I’m not sure how to apply that to this question
smitg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you just need to simplify it bring the bottom of the fraction up and (making the powers negative so mulitplying by (x^-2 dx^-1 e^-1) basic laws of indices,
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is year 12 Further maths so I don’t know how to differentiate fractions like this yet, in class we have found the stationary points by using the discriminant but I’m not sure how to apply that to this question
I suppose you can sub x=2 into the quadratic to find the max value.
The intersection of that horizontal line with the function would have a single solution.
Cross multiply the quadratic fraction and max value and "solve" the resulting quadratic - single solution or discriminant.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
enigmapr0ject
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

not sure why you would attempt to find a discriminant equation when you mentioned f(x) has no (real?) roots..
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps completing the square on both the numerator and denominator could help.

EDIT. Don't do this
Last edited by B_9710; 1 month ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago

I think people have been misinterpreting your question.

When you say "maximum at 2, minimum at 0.5", I presume you mean 0.5 \leq f(x)\leq 2 for all x, and that it achieves its bounds.

Your idea of using the discriminant for the maximum and minimum values will give you two equations.

Using the information for the y-intercept will give you a relationship between "c" and "e" - allowing you to eliminate "c".

And finally, since the function lies between 0.5 and 2, this means "a" can only take one possible value. Can you work out what that is?
Edit: See following.

Putting these bits of information together will allow you to derive the desired equation - "(b-0.5d)^2=(b-2d)^2=2e"

Note: No differentiaton is required.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 1 month ago
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
I think people have been misinterpreting your question.

When you say "maximum at 2, minimum at 0.5", I presume you mean 0.5 \leq f(x)\leq 2 for all x, and that it achieves its bounds.
I was wondering why this question didn't seem to make much sense as phrased
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by davros)
I was wondering why this question didn't seem to make much sense as phrased
Can't recall seeing one like it on here before - doesn't mean there hasn't been one mind - and the "at 2" etc., does naturally lend itself to mean x=2, so somewhat misleading.
Emily~3695
Rep:
?
Can't recall seeing one like it on here before - doesn't mean there hasn't been one mind - and the "at 2" etc., does naturally lend itself to mean x=2, so somewhat misleading.
Thank you for your help it makes more sense now the wording was definitely quite misleading which is why I think I was confused.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your help it makes more sense now the wording was definitely quite misleading which is why I think I was confused.
Oh <expletive deleted>!

I realised this morning that my solution is flawed.

The desired equation can be obtained if we have a=1, but just because the function's range is [0.5,2] (viz. bounded), this does not imply that a=1.
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is what you've written exactly what the problem says, or have you rephrased it?

Is it taken from a book? Can you upload an image?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
Further checking shows that the desired equation is not necessarily true.

If you have a=3/2, b=7/3, c=3/2, d=2/3, e=1 (for example), then this set of values meets all the given criteria, but: (b-0.5d)^2=4e and (b-2d)^2=e

As davros asked, an image of the original question would be useful, if not a necessity, now.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If you have a=3/2, b=7/3, c=3/2, d=2/3, e=1 (for example), then this set of values meets all the given criteria, but: (b-0.5d)^2=4e and (b-2d)^2=e

As davros asked, an image of the original question would be useful, if not a necessity, now.
Nice detective work (PRSOM).
Emily~3695
Rep:
?

Name:  A96F01BB-7312-40C2-9098-ACDA5AFEB505.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  13.3 KB

This is the original question it’s pretty much exactly what I put
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
Name:  A96F01BB-7312-40C2-9098-ACDA5AFEB505.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  13.3 KB

This is the original question it’s pretty much exactly what I put
Your missed one vital fact from your post "a horizontal asymptote at y=1". This implies a=1 and the result follows.

Perhaps post an image of the question, next time.
Emily~3695
Rep:
?
Your missed one vital fact from your post "a horizontal asymptote at y=1". This implies a=1 and the rest follows.

Perhaps post an image of the question, next time.
Ah ok I didn’t even realise that when I was answering the question, thanks for your help
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
Ah ok I didn’t even realise that when I was answering the question, thanks for your help
Without it you cannot deduce that a=1. I trust you understand why it means a=1: Divide numerator and denominator by x^2, and consider the limit as x goes to infinity.
Emily~3695
Rep:
?
Without it you cannot deduce that a=1. I trust you understand why it means a=1: Divide numerator and denominator by x^2, and consider the limit as x goes to infinity.
Yes I do understand how to work out asymptotes I just wasn’t sure how to apply everything to this question. Thanks 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.81%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.74%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.35%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise