The Student Room Group

Leaving a job soon after starting

Hi all

I was dismissed from my previous long-term job earlier this year (gross misconduct, long and unpleasant story). I was in a panic and given the COVID situation I took the first job that came along a 12-month fixed term role with the local authority. This role is paying substantially less than what I was earning (approx. 22,000 less) and I have now been there approx. 6 weeks. I am enjoying the role but at the same time it is not my dream job. I get on well with the team and the working environment is very flexible and I can work from home.

Earlier in the year I applied for a job I really wanted to do. I had an interview; the feedback was excellent but was then put on hold due to COVID. Given the time that elapsed I thought this role was dead in the water. Last week, I had the news that this company are looking to offer me the job. This is a permanent job, paying double what my current place is paying, excellent benefits and working slightly less hours in an industry that I am really interested in. Obviously, this role is far more stressful that my current one, and I have been told that expectations are extremely high and a very steep learning curve.

I am concerned that I am letting my current employer down by leaving so quickly. I have checked my contract and it allows for early termination on both sides by giving a one-month notice period. I am on a 12-month fixed term contract currently but have been told that this is likely to go permanent or be extended upon this finishing (obviously not guaranteed). Am I being unreasonable and letting my current company down by leaving so quickly? I just feel a permanent role in this climate, paying double what I am on now is too good an opportunity to pass up. I’m also slightly concerned that this is a new industry and that if I can’t meet their high expectations, I can easily find myself being unemployed (although I suppose this is a gamble with any job move or promotion).

Any advice?
Thanks
Original post by shibbyteating
Hi all

I was dismissed from my previous long-term job earlier this year (gross misconduct, long and unpleasant story). I was in a panic and given the COVID situation I took the first job that came along a 12-month fixed term role with the local authority. This role is paying substantially less than what I was earning (approx. 22,000 less) and I have now been there approx. 6 weeks. I am enjoying the role but at the same time it is not my dream job. I get on well with the team and the working environment is very flexible and I can work from home.

Earlier in the year I applied for a job I really wanted to do. I had an interview; the feedback was excellent but was then put on hold due to COVID. Given the time that elapsed I thought this role was dead in the water. Last week, I had the news that this company are looking to offer me the job. This is a permanent job, paying double what my current place is paying, excellent benefits and working slightly less hours in an industry that I am really interested in. Obviously, this role is far more stressful that my current one, and I have been told that expectations are extremely high and a very steep learning curve.

I am concerned that I am letting my current employer down by leaving so quickly. I have checked my contract and it allows for early termination on both sides by giving a one-month notice period. I am on a 12-month fixed term contract currently but have been told that this is likely to go permanent or be extended upon this finishing (obviously not guaranteed). Am I being unreasonable and letting my current company down by leaving so quickly? I just feel a permanent role in this climate, paying double what I am on now is too good an opportunity to pass up. I’m also slightly concerned that this is a new industry and that if I can’t meet their high expectations, I can easily find myself being unemployed (although I suppose this is a gamble with any job move or promotion).

Any advice?
Thanks

I'd go for the job.
If it's in an area of work you are interested in, better money etc etc then you would be a fool to turn it down.
Yes you will be leaving your current place of work after not long. But as long as you give the required notice etc then you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending