The Student Room Group

effective ways to revise ? TIPS!

1 week left from mocks how do i retain information
Long term I would suggest half-arsed spaced repetition-
- pre-read content before lesson is repetition 1
- the lesson is repetition 2
- writing up cornell notes a couple days later is repetition 3
- doing practice questions for an end of topic a few weeks later is repetition 4
- and then the cram for a mock is repetition 5 but by that time its not really cramming

However, you have 1 week -
I would spend a couple hours a day on days 1 and 2 going over anything I absolutely have no idea on.
Don't revise things you feel like you already know - you probably remember more than you think you do.
Then for the remaining days I would, provided you are doing a standardised exam with free past papers, go through as many past paper questions as humanly possible. The markschemes are just as important as the questions and you should spend as much time marking and reviewing as doing questions. After doing a few of the same papers - you will get a jist for the structure: i.e. there is always a 6 marker on x/y/z which will help you priotitise what you need to know in the most detail. Past paper questions will also help you pick out what you don't know.

Then shortly before the exam I would go over notes 1 more time prioritising what I picked up on as my weaknesses during doing practice papers.

Obviously advice is subject dependant so take everything I say with a grain or even a hefty tablespoon of salt.

Best of Luck!
Hiya,
Active recall: flash cards, mind maps, posters,
Spaced Repetition
Good luck)

Quick Reply

Latest