The Student Room Group

A-level help

Hey, I have a Query.

I'm 3 months in A-levels and i'm already super stressed!
I take Psychology, Sociology, and Business Studies.
School is giving me a lot of practice questions, and I keep getting low marks on each of them. My teachers keep saying that I need to work on structure, they say I have the knowledge but I tend to waffle a lot, so I don't exactly know how to structure everything properly. I'm also told the way I present information isn't beneficial if I don't add key terminology in every paragraph. Can someone help me fix this problem I have? I really want to fix this, as I can't continue doing this in the future. I spend too long on these questions presuming they're a good standard but I always end up disappointed.

Thanks for reading all of this!
Reply 1
Have you tried peel paragraphs there abit boring to write but they give you more structure.
Reply 2
Original post by -novice-
Hey, I have a Query.

I'm 3 months in A-levels and i'm already super stressed!
I take Psychology, Sociology, and Business Studies.
School is giving me a lot of practice questions, and I keep getting low marks on each of them. My teachers keep saying that I need to work on structure, they say I have the knowledge but I tend to waffle a lot, so I don't exactly know how to structure everything properly. I'm also told the way I present information isn't beneficial if I don't add key terminology in every paragraph. Can someone help me fix this problem I have? I really want to fix this, as I can't continue doing this in the future. I spend too long on these questions presuming they're a good standard but I always end up disappointed.

Thanks for reading all of this!

Sorry to hear about this, A-Levels are tough I'm ngl but try not to stress too much!

It sounds like you haven't properly grasped how to structure your answers for the different kinds of questions you might get in psychology, sociology and business studies which at this moment is a slight concern. Definitely liaise with your subject teachers about the exam structures for the different subjects and read some sample answers as well and understand how the marks are allocated - this will really help you understand where you're going wrong/not doing right. Also, keep doing practice questions - they're really helpful. If it gets a tad too much, just be honest with your teachers - they're there to support you in your studies. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Sorry to hear about this, A-Levels are tough I'm ngl but try not to stress too much!

It sounds like you haven't properly grasped how to structure your answers for the different kinds of questions you might get in psychology, sociology and business studies which at this moment is a slight concern. Definitely liaise with your subject teachers about the exam structures for the different subjects and read some sample answers as well and understand how the marks are allocated - this will really help you understand where you're going wrong/not doing right. Also, keep doing practice questions - they're really helpful. If it gets a tad too much, just be honest with your teachers - they're there to support you in your studies. Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks for your response! Is there any structure you recommend? I also feel like i'm really behind, I hate this feeling. I want to do well but I already feel like i'm already bad at everything.
Reply 4
Original post by -novice-
Thanks for your response! Is there any structure you recommend? I also feel like i'm really behind, I hate this feeling. I want to do well but I already feel like i'm already bad at everything.

PEEL is generally a good structure to use but I think psychology has a specific structure - I never did psychology A-Level btw from what I know from friends, I think they use a different structure and don't quote me on that. :smile: Also, there are quite a few good YouTube videos on exam structure for sociology so check them out, e.g TheTeacherSociology. Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
PEEL is generally a good structure to use but I think psychology has a specific structure - I never did psychology A-Level btw from what I know from friends, I think they use a different structure and don't quote me on that. :smile: Also, there are quite a few good YouTube videos on exam structure for sociology so check them out, e.g TheTeacherSociology. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply! I'll definitely have a look at some YouTube videos for it. Yeah PEEL is quite common so i'll continue to give it a try!

Quick Reply

Latest