Do you think medicine is basically dominated by middle class people?

Watch
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It is so difficult to get an offer you have to have top academic qualifications therefore have to go to quite a good school. You also have to have a good persona statement etc. Even graduate-entry you have to have a degree most people who go to university are still middle class.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
It is so difficult to get an offer you have to have top academic qualifications therefore have to go to quite a good school. You also have to have a good persona statement etc. Even graduate-entry you have to have a degree most people who go to university are still middle class.
It was / still is at the top of the ladder.

A lot of things are being done to correct this though - widening participation and Medicine with a Foundation Year courses to mention just two.

This year, due to guaranteeing interviews for contextual applicants and those who had achieved A*s, Exeter rejected everyone else with a UCAT score less than top 3% of the population (3040).

Medicine with a Foundation Year courses typically have standard offers of BBC or even BCC or lower.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Username123455
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, deffo.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Statistically it literally is, yes. But as said, things are being done to try to change that, thankfully!
looloo2134
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Statistically it literally is, yes. But as said, things are being done to try to change that, thankfully!
My uncle when to Cambridge in 1970s he grow up in a council house single father in an ex mining town. When his son applied to medical school his father my uncle now middle class have to pay for him and he had to get better grades than a working class student from his father background.

He was punished for his father hard work.
Last edited by looloo2134; 1 month ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't have to go to a good school to get As.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I think so, I've never met a doctor and got the impression that they went to the same schools I did, or come from a similar place to me.
looloo2134
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Yes, I think so, I've never met a doctor and got the impression that they went to the same schools I did, or come from a similar place to me.
My uncle when to Cambridge from council house 1970s in the North East his now middle class son when to medical school.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, it's pretty middle-class dominated.

To be honest, in my opinion, under-representation of the working-class isn't something that is talked about that much. Which is a shame.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
My uncle when to Cambridge in 1970s he grow up in a council house single father in an ex mining town. When his son applied to medical school his father my uncle now middle class have to pay for him and he had to get better grades than a working class student from his father background.

He was punished for his father hard work.
Er, ok? Not sure how ‘not getting the support available to disadvantaged students when you’re not disadvantaged’ is a punishment?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you become a doctor then you become middle class, so yes, medicine is dominated by the middle class.
looloo2134
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Er, ok? Not sure how ‘not getting the support available to disadvantaged students when you’re not disadvantaged’ is a punishment?
If his father has not worked hard at school and grow up disadvantaged he would not have needed to get the same grades.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
If his father has not worked hard at school and grow up disadvantaged he would not have needed to get the same grades.
Right. Because he'd have been disadvantaged and needed the schools to level the playing field for him.
This is a bit like saying "if I were poor, the state would give me benefits, so I'm being punished for not being poor by not being given benefits" - you're not being punished, you just don't need help.
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm strongly in favour of abolishing the A-level and replacing with a universal entrance examination that anyone can take. However you'd likely see a similar class make-up. People with more resources tend to have an easier time.
gardengnome_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As the daughter of a doctor, I think this is completely true, partly due to the sometimes unconscious force of received pronunciation. When a person with a working-class background is accepted into a top medical school, a large majority of their lecturers and peers with be from a middle-class background. The need to fit in with surrounding society often means they will alter their accent and even mindset due to the classism crisis of accent/dialect=intelligence. This causes rapid self-gentrification of the individual. This is only part of the issue as the cost of training a medical student is incredibly high, meaning those who have families without access to a steady income simply aren't given the opportunity to train at a medical school.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
If you become a doctor then you become middle class, so yes, medicine is dominated by the middle class.
I obv mean before the person becomes a doctor ie their parents are doctor architects rather than carpet fitter or a boiler repair man.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Most people at university were doctors or dentists because their parents were also I was amazed by how many of them went to private school.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I obv mean before the person becomes a doctor ie their parents are doctor architects rather than carpet fitter or a boiler repair man.
many lucrative professions such as soccer player are dominated by people from the lowest reaches of society.
why is there no big hoo-ha about that ?

:holmes:
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
many lucrative professions such as soccer player are dominated by people from the lowest reaches of society.
why is there no big hoo-ha about that ?

:holmes:
because obv that is not something where you need qualifications and an education you can play football in the street. People who go to a bad state school are held back by the school not by their ability.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
because obv that is not something where you need qualifications and an education you can play football in the street. People who go to a bad state school are held back by the school not by their ability.
also pop star... most of them have about 1 gcse

smh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (21)
22.34%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (42)
44.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.02%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.19%

Watched Threads