The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I moshed so hard my wee turned brown and my poo turned black. I took a drop for the last song as I lost so much wtaer. :biggrin::biggrin: Sooo much fun, mann I wish I had enough money to go to gigs more often..
Reply 41
Stay on the outskirts of the pit and use other people as human shields/ammunition.
When they get to a break down in the song (pretty all the time with Enter Shikari) try this ...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2TmggsRwf8Y&feature=related

Lmao.
Reply 43
Body Slaming is a great way to get close to ur fellow metal fans... AND BREAK THEIR FCUKING RIBS!
Pits/moshing/body-slamming is something you either love or hate. I grew to love it the more I got into metal - and managed to survive being bounced around by bikers at a gig a few months ago. It helps if you're a bit drunk before the pit forms.
At an Enter Shikari gig its not the moshing you have to watch out for, its the human pyramids. WHEN THEY FALL ON YOU IT KILLS. Also, crowd surfers kicking the back of your head.
Reply 46
Push the girls in. Its funny.
Reply 47
blahhh
Are you going to cardiff by any chance??! :biggrin:

Nope, Peterborough.
Kinda scared now, haha. Hope someone does help me if I fall over, I don't wanna die! xD My friend I'm going with said he would look after me, though. :smile:
Reply 48
Mosh pits aren't half as bad as people think :smile: If everyone is so tightly packed that a circle can't be formed, well they are the best :biggrin:
I don't like mosh pits so I generally stick to the sides. There's more room there too =]

If you want to go in the pits then be prepared for some injuries. Oh and wear shoes that fit. I went into a pit and my shoes kept falling off :/

Do this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8_HGQOnnI&feature=related
Reply 50
teh_samby
I'm going to an Enter Shikari gig in a few weeks, and it's all standing, so I'm imagining a big crowd of people jumping about, and little old me in the middle of it. It'll be the first gig where I haven't either been sitting, or been able to keep well out of the crowd because I'm standing in a massive field, and, well, this is indoors and I'm scared of getting trampled on. xD Any tips? :biggrin: Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place!

Here are some tips from my experience:

1) DON'T stand next to a railing/wall which is near where all the people are going wild. People are soft (relatively), whereas walls and railing are rock solid. You'll end up getting crushed against it, or smacking your head off it.

2) When in the "rough" area, make sure you're packed in close to people. If you're in an open area, you can get hurt by falling over/people getting a run up at you etc. If you're packed in with people (i.e. at the front), no-one will be able to move, so no-one can get up momentum to hurt you. It also means that you can't fall. Packed areas are the safest (apart from the areas mentioned in rule 6)

3) The "rough" area is usually about 5 rows back from the front. You'll be safe up at the very front, but observe rule 1 here. Don't go right up to the front as you'll be crushed against the railing, try to get 2 or 3 rows back.

4) General pit etiquette involves helping people up as soon as they fall.

5) If someone is going crazy and bumps into you (i.e. in the open spaces in the rough area that I mentioned in rule 2), then push them back into the centre of the space, away from you. Pushing idiots who smack into you is perfectly acceptable.

6) If you want to get out of all the rough areas/packed in areas, then go to the bar or the back. It's generally quite sterile there.

7) Even if it is freezing out cold, I'd honestly recommend just wearing a t-shirt. Especially if the venue is small, it'll be absolutely ROASTING. Make sure you get some water mid way through the event as you'll be extremely dehydrated and sweaty.

8) Don't bring anything expensive, i.e. a camera, or expensive phone. It'll probably get damaged from people pushing against you.

9) When things are getting a bit rough, be careful with your hands. Keep them either up in the air, or in closed fists. It's really easy to get a buggered finger from someone crashing into you.

Hope that helps a little.

Just a little side note:

10) If some asshole throws a railing at you, beat the absolute ****** out of them. True story.

FYI, I'd be in the middle of the pit going wild, but this is the advice I'd give to someone who is a bit nervous about their first time.
Reply 51
If you're scared stand on the edge.
I saw Enter Shikari at the Pioneer in St Albans about 6 years ago when they were unknown, hehe - that was quite a rough moshpit and so was Download 2007 which was somewhat bigger! Don't worry about it though. Just wear sensible clothes you can move in like jeans or something, so it doesn't matter to much if you get pushed around a bit.
Reply 52
Promise you it isn't that hard to get away from the little mosh pits that usually form. For the most part it's easy to avoid getting hit in the face etc.

If you are really worried stand near the back or sides; either that or get RIGHT at the front, so you're holding the railings, and do not - I repeat DO NOT - ever let go.
Getting crushed near the rail is the worst thing in the world, as people push you forward, so you push them back... and then the domino effect happens. Person infront of you falls backwards, you fall, everyone else falls.

..and get shoes that fit, normally people will pick up a shoe and hold it in the air if someone loses one but.. some don't.

The gig won't be one huge entire mosh, circles form and you can just stand behind someone on the edge ofi t and they get the brunt of anyone coming at them :P
Stand/sit at the back with all the scene kids if you're too scared or don't want to mess up your hair. :p: :wink:
Zoecb
If you're scared stand on the edge.
I saw Enter Shikari at the Pioneer in St Albans about 6 years ago when they were unknown, hehe - that was quite a rough moshpit and so was Download 2007 which was somewhat bigger! Don't worry about it though. Just wear sensible clothes you can move in like jeans or something, so it doesn't matter to much if you get pushed around a bit.

Haha, I saw them both locally (Club 85 in Hitchin, North Herts, when they were tiny) and Download 07 too! Highfive :biggrin:
Reply 56
Wear decent shoes.
First proper standing gig I went to I wore ballet pumps, big mistake. Lost one during about the second song and had to hop/limp through beer to get to the side where I spent most of the rest of the time. Not so much fun. However, if you want to get to a good place which isn't to squished I suggest going round the sides right to the front, then you get a side on view, pretty close and not too squashed up. Also I second whoever said to wear cool clothes - it's always boiling in a crowd.
Reply 57
nadiah

Only at TBS I got a good whack in the face and not so much as the teeniest bruise for my pain :frown: Gutted.

:shock: That happened to me too!!! Last time I try to open an account there!
At Reading festival, mosh pits were a real relief from the otherwise tight and stuffy arena. Got smacked quite hard once but I sort of enjoyed it, haha.
SillyFencer
:shock: That happened to me too!!! Last time I try to open an account there!

They said 'TBS' mean Taking Back Sunday not 'TSB'. Haha. Nice try though. :p:

Latest