Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For all those who dont know what it is.
    AKA MSI Wind, but rebranded for sale in UK
    im seriously considering getting one, not least because i was already planning to get the MSI wind but couldnt find a way of getting one into the UK, and its just easier to get this.

personally, i dont think anything is wrong with it, im quite sure the HD sucks, just a cheap 80 gig sata one, but they havent skimped on the atom processor, though again i dont doubt the ram is some second rate generic crap (what ram in laptops isnt?)
    but the screen quality seems good, keyboard is best of all netbooks and webcam/microphone and at 1.2kg imo its a good buy
    £300 seems like a good price also.

Discuss.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Isn't it the same as the Advent 4211 - another rebranded MSI Wind, but selling at £279 in PC World, Dixon's, Curry's and Comet?

ReputationRep:
    i was looking at that in sainburies today
    but i would go with the advent one

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is the same but the medion one is kindof ruined by it not being all black or all white
    and also i prefer the MSI feel to the laptop, its like they cheapened the medion

ReputationRep:
    I really want a MSI wind with the 6 cell battery. But I doubt I'll find one in time for uni. I think its only in malayasia you can get them. Or you have to buy the battery separate.

ReputationRep:
    saw the little advent one today was SO tempted to buy it. Might get one for christmas, living at home through uni an it would be a alot easier to carry around with me than my dell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    saw the little advent one today was SO tempted to buy it. Might get one for christmas, living at home through uni an it would be a alot easier to carry around with me than my dell
    yeah i think im going to get it at christmas once ive saved a bit up

ReputationRep:
    and good call on the 6-cell
    thats pretty much the only bad bit of the laptop that i can see so far, if by xmas we cant get 6-cell versions then i will just buy a 6 cell battery and have the 3cell as a backup.
    i reckon i can pull 6-7 hrs out of that laptop with 6 cell battery and a crafty linux distro a bit like the ones on the acer aspire ones
    which is pretty damn good, and then keep the 3 cell as a ~2h backup so i never need the charger when i go out just a spare batttery

ReputationRep:
    well kids I bought it, just couldn't wait til christmas. Just running it's battery down so i can recharge it. It's a lithium ion one so it says to run it totally down and charge it completely a couple of times. broadcasting from it right now, it's going well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    well kids I bought it, just couldn't wait til christmas. Just running it's battery down so i can recharge it. It's a lithium ion one so it says to run it totally down and charge it completely a couple of times. broadcasting from it right now, it's going well
    lol sweet
    can you keep me posted on how it goes?
    namely battery length and any good/bad points you notice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieryiceissweet)
    lol sweet
    can you keep me posted on how it goes?
    namely battery length and any good/bad points you notice?
    welllast night ti was fine. but this mornig it wouldnt load windows so i've taken it back. it's replacement is charging now. soo i'll let you know

ReputationRep:
    well kids i have to say im impressed. Since the little hiccup withthe corrupt drive on the first one I have to say the second has been very very good, extrodinarily quiet, doesn't get hot. battery is going for just over 2.5 hours. even the preinstalled corel word processor isn't terrible. all in all a good purchase. Even the tapping if the keys isn't particularly loud, really good to take notes in lecturesm doesn't irritate anyone. Can even hear it whirring. Wireless is good, download/ install speeds good. best £300 i've spent in a long time. go buy

ReputationRep:
    any chance you can time how long it takes to boot up from scratch?
    and is yours running XP +80GB HD and 3cell battery?

ReputationRep:
    Easy - go with the Advent. I don't trust Medion. I had a Medion PDA, I still have it but the they seem to burn out the batteries pretty quick after about 20-30 charge cycles. Not the battery's fault, it was a decent Samsung rechargeable battery!! The right one as well, just it seemed to eat them alive. I've given up now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieryiceissweet)
    any chance you can time how long it takes to boot up from scratch?
    and is yours running XP +80GB HD and 3cell battery?
    i can try i it's xp 160 HD and it's a 2200 battery?

ReputationRep:
    i didnt know you could get 160 HD in it? did you put that in yourself or was it like that stock?

and iirc advent=medion?
    its all the same laptop essentially they are all just MSI wind variants, they arent the first ones either theres loads of different specs available now, but most of the amazing ones you can only get in taiwan and im not taiwanese

ReputationRep:
    no it came with the 160 HD from morrissons

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 15, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.