alg.xx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Does anyone know where I can get work experience for accountancy? I’m in year 12 and I’m really struggling to find something.
Thanks
susiecx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
When I was in year 12 (about 8 years ago now), I went to my local business park and handed my CV and a cover letter to all the businesses there offering to work for free in exchange for some experience in their finance department. I probably handed out 10 CVs, 8 never replied, 1 rejected the offer but I managed to get 1 week's experience in Fujitsu shadowing the management accountant.

It'll probably be a lot more difficult with Covid, but perhaps e-mailing local businesses with your CV might help? It's worth a shot
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by susiecx)
When I was in year 12 (about 8 years ago now), I went to my local business park and handed my CV and a cover letter to all the businesses there offering to work for free in exchange for some experience in their finance department. I probably handed out 10 CVs, 8 never replied, 1 rejected the offer but I managed to get 1 week's experience in Fujitsu shadowing the management accountant.

It'll probably be a lot more difficult with Covid, but perhaps e-mailing local businesses with your CV might help? It's worth a shot
Thanks for the adivce. I don't know any local businesses and I don't know what a cover letter is. Any advice? I've written a CV but I think it's way too long (5 pages)
Diagonalgerm
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by alg.xx)
Thanks for the adivce. I don't know any local businesses and I don't know what a cover letter is. Any advice? I've written a CV but I think it's way too long (5 pages)
Search for local accountancy firms on the web. Some of the larger firms have work experience programmes.

A cover letter is a short summary which is sent along with the CV to give people a bit of a background.

Try pulling something together and getting a parent/teacher/friend to look over it.
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Diagonalgerm)
Search for local accountancy firms on the web. Some of the larger firms have work experience programmes.

A cover letter is a short summary which is sent along with the CV to give people a bit of a background.

Try pulling something together and getting a parent/teacher/friend to look over it.
What is a cover letter?
susiecx
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by alg.xx)
5 pages is way too long, it should be 2 max. Try to only include relevant information for the role you're looking for.

A cover letter is basically a short letter to the person you'll be sending your CV to. It includes a brief summary on yourself, what you're looking for and what you have to offer. It should be brief (1 page max).

Literally have a Google at local businesses near you, most medium to large businesses will have a finance department, email their HR department with your cover letter in the email and your CV. If you want experience in an accountancy firm, look up accountancy firms near you and send them an e-mail.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This is a list of ideas

Call up local accounting businesses
Contact human resource departments
Telephone or email hospital finance departments
See if there are any school finance jobs up for grabs
Find out if the banks are hiring
Do a accounting search online for more information
Enquire about council finance careers too
Ask local shops etc about positions.
Check the newspapers
Search online
Ask questions
Focus
alg.xx
Rep:
?
5 pages is way too long, it should be 2 max. Try to only include relevant information for the role you're looking for.

A cover letter is basically a short letter to the person you'll be sending your CV to. It includes a brief summary on yourself, what you're looking for and what you have to offer. It should be brief (1 page max).

Literally have a Google at local businesses near you, most medium to large businesses will have a finance department, email their HR department with your cover letter in the email and your CV. If you want experience in an accountancy firm, look up accountancy firms near you and send them an e-mail.
Thank you for the advice
Madman11
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Hi, I’ve arranged for some work experience at an accountancy firm for March time. I just wanted to know what can I expect - like what did u do on a daily basis or what was the person you were shadowing doing, e.g. Auditing, making Excel spreadsheets, preparing financial statements etc. Thanks.
susiecx
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Madman11)
Hi, I’ve arranged for some work experience at an accountancy firm for March time. I just wanted to know what can I expect - like what did u do on a daily basis or what was the person you were shadowing doing, e.g. Auditing, making Excel spreadsheets, preparing financial statements etc. Thanks.
Congrats on getting some work experience. So I was basically shadowing the management accountant at a company, not at a accounting firm so watched him preparing financial statements, doing bank reconciliations then I helped the accounts assistants with posting some invoices. I was really lucky that the accountant made a point to the team that I shouldn't just be scanning and making tea rouns so I actually managed to learn a lot.

I now work at a small accounting firm and we've had a couple of guys come in for work experience. They usually spend a day at each department (audit, tax, accounts, financial services, HR/payroll). A lot of the time, they do end up doing a lot of scanning and shredding but also manage to get a bit of hands on experience with bookkeeping.

So it really depends on the firm you go to on what you do, I would just ask if there's anything you can help with and make sure to ask for help if you're given something you consider too difficult.

Hope this helps
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Madman11)
What firm was it if you don’t mind me asking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.91%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise