Buddingdentist08
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys

I’m a year 9 student hoping to study Dentistry at uni. I am just interested in what Dentistry/Med applicants put as their 5th UCAS choice and why. Please share!
Chowderzzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm applying to med and put pharmacy as my 5th option, as an alternative career pathway that may also allow me to do medicine.
Buddingdentist08
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chowderzzz)
I'm applying to med and put pharmacy as my 5th option, as an alternative career pathway that may also allow me to do medicine.
Cool. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your application!
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Optometry.
Buddingdentist08
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Optometry.
Nice. Thanks for sharing
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
nothing
Buddingdentist08
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
nothing
Interesting. So you only put 4 choices then?
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Buddingdentist08)
Interesting. So you only put 4 choices then?
:yep:
Buddingdentist08
Rep:
?
:yep:
Wow. Ur probs so smart. I’ll need a back up lol
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow. Ur probs so smart. I’ll need a back up lol
nah my UCAT was just above average, didn't even try the BMAT and there's two Bs in my overall results....... I'm waiting to see how the application turns out and if I lose my offers I'll try clearing/extra when it occurs when I need it ; also I applied to medicine which has a greater chance if clearing than dentistry and if I'm really desperate to go to uni on any course then I'll see what biomed/medical science/pharmacy etc. is in clearing
cause it is what it is
Buddingdentist08
Rep:
?
nah my UCAT was just above average, didn't even try the BMAT and there's two Bs in my overall results....... I'm waiting to see how the application turns out and if I lose my offers I'll try clearing/extra when it occurs when I need it ; also I applied to medicine which has a greater chance if clearing than dentistry and if I'm really desperate to go to uni on any course then I'll see what biomed/medical science/pharmacy etc. is in clearing
cause it is what it is
Oh ok. Makes sense. Thx again
KaziMahathir
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys

I’m a year 9 student hoping to study Dentistry at uni. I am just interested in what Dentistry/Med applicants put as their 5th UCAS choice and why. Please share!
I'm applying for medicine and put down biomedical science as my fifth. If you feel like you won't take the fifth choice even if you don't get into medicine/dentistry (i.e. you'll take a gap year and reapply the following academic cycle), you could always put down something a bit more wacky. I know one guy who put down agricultural studies or something as his fifth.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys

(Original post by KaziMahathir)
I'm applying for medicine and put down biomedical science as my fifth. If you feel like you won't take the fifth choice even if you don't get into medicine/dentistry (i.e. you'll take a gap year and reapply the following academic cycle), you could always put down something a bit more wacky. I know one guy who put down agricultural studies or something as his fifth.
For Medicine you shouldn't pick anything for a 5th option as stereotypeasian did (she's amazing)

Because if you received a biomed (or some random course) offer and were unlucky enough to get four medical rejections - by firming your random offer you in effect just gave away another two free shots at Medicine.

Remember that these days, medical schools go into Clearing and UCAS Extra! Also, if you have a sudden urge to do Biomed or some random degree - these courses will likely be themselves in Clearing anyway.

Plus it's never recommended to do a degree with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine. It'll take longer, cost more and be much more competitive.

Mesopotamian. will advise on whether the same applies for dentistry. As far as I know, no dental school (officially) goes into Clearing.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
For Medicine you shouldn't pick anything for a 5th option as stereotypeasian did (she's amazing)

Because if you received a biomed (or some random course) offer and were unlucky enough to get four medical rejections - by firming your random offer you in effect just gave away another two free shots at Medicine.

Remember that these days, medical schools go into Clearing and UCAS Extra! Also, if you have a sudden urge to do Biomed or some random degree - these courses will likely be themselves in Clearing anyway.

Plus it's never recommended to do a degree with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine. It'll take longer, cost more and be much more competitive.

Mesopotamian. will advise on whether the same applies for dentistry. As far as I know, no dental school (officially) goes into Clearing.
Don’t think that applies to dentistry. Everyone I know put a back up option including myself (and I had mine firmed).

As far as I know, dentistry isn’t in clearing (I definitely haven’t seen it on clearing before) - this is because dentistry works using waiting lists, so some rejected applicants who are still deemed to be good enough are put on a waiting list after the UCAS response deadline and may be offered a place on results day if other offer holders have failed to meet the requirements.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t think that applies to dentistry. Everyone I know put a back up option including myself (and I had mine firmed).

As far as I know, dentistry isn’t in clearing (I definitely haven’t seen it on clearing before) - this is because dentistry works using waiting lists, so some rejected applicants who are still deemed to be good enough are put on a waiting list after the UCAS response deadline and may be offered a place on results day if other offer holders have failed to meet the requirements.
What about the old "take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad dentistry" vs "take a random degree specifically for graduate entry dentistry"?
Seyiojo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yh interesting to see what people’s plans are
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about the old "take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad dentistry" vs "take a random degree specifically for graduate entry dentistry"?
Think that’s a given when you said it about medicine :lol:
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think that’s a given when you said it about medicine :lol:
Then in that case surely there's no point picking a 5th choice if you're going for Dentistry either? You're just wasting the admission tutors' time.

So, just to confirm, it is recommended to take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad dentistry rather than do any old random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry dentistry.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Then in that case surely there's no point picking a 5th choice if you're going for Dentistry either? You're just wasting the admission tutors' time.

So, just to confirm, it is recommended to take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad dentistry rather than do any old random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry dentistry.
Some people might not want to reapply after being rejected and have no intention of graduate entry. Depends on the applicant I suppose.

But yes, if it’s dentistry/ medicine or nothing, then agree with the recommendation.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some people might not want to reapply after being rejected and have no intention of graduate entry. Depends on the applicant I suppose...
Really?! So people would just give up?

These uncommitted dentists
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads