Transplant and Age

Watch
H2k20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As you get older, how does your likelihood of having a success transplant change?
So instance does it decrease the older you get?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by H2k20)
As you get older, how does your likelihood of having a success transplant change?
So instance does it decrease the older you get?
I'll assume we're talking about organs such as heart, kidney, pancreas, or the liver rather than a corneal transplant

Speaking in very general terms (since this is a very general question), if you need a transplant of one of those organs that means you must have had siginificant illness and damage to the organ which is being transplanted. You may well have other illnesses as well which affect your overall health.

Transplants aren't carried out lightly and often the patients who end up going for transplants will have been unwell for a long time before they go for the operation. Transplant operations are lengthy and the patient has to be able to tolerate the anaesthetic and likely a stay in the intensive care unit afterwards. At the very least they will need to manage then being on a normal hospital ward and the post-op rehabilitation process with all the possible complications that may result. They also have to be able to tolerate being on immunosuppressants for the rest of their life.

When you put all of this together, as a general rule, it means the older you get your capacity for being able to cope with all of the above stressors (your physiological reserve) decreases so offering a transplant is considered increasingly risky with little benefits. An otherwise well 25 year old will generally tolerate a theoretical transplant more successfully than an 85 year old with several other long term conditions.
H2k20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Democracy)
I'll assume we're talking about organs such as heart, kidney, pancreas, or the liver rather than a corneal transplant

Speaking in very general terms (since this is a very general question), if you need a transplant of one of those organs that means you must have had siginificant illness and damage to the organ which is being transplanted. You may well have other illnesses as well which affect your overall health.

Transplants aren't carried out lightly and often the patients who end up going for transplants will have been unwell for a long time before they go for the operation. Transplant operations are lengthy and the patient has to be able to tolerate the anaesthetic and likely a stay in the intensive care unit afterwards. At the very least they will need to manage then being on a normal hospital ward and the post-op rehabilitation process with all the possible complications that may result. They also have to be able to tolerate being on immunosuppressants for the rest of their life.

When you put all of this together, as a general rule, it means the older you get your capacity for being able to cope with all of the above stressors (your physiological reserve) decreases so offering a transplant is considered increasingly risky with little benefits. An otherwise well 25 year old will generally tolerate a theoretical transplant more successfully than an 85 year old with several other long term conditions.
great answer, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.1%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (57)
29.69%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.06%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
13.54%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.6%

Watched Threads