username3620704
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Everyone in the UK says it’s like btec oxbridge and hypes it up to be an extremely good uni. But when I ask my international friend they say they haven’t got a clue what it is.
Materol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends what you count a good uni as.
- A uni that has worldwide recognition
- A uni that is really valued nationally
- A uni that has high quality courses for your course
- A uni that has modules that you would specifically enjoy
- A uni that ranks highly in league tables
It really is situational and branches off what you count as a good uni.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Materol)
Depends what you count a good uni as.
- A uni that has worldwide recognition
- A uni that is really valued nationally
- A uni that has high quality courses for your course
- A uni that has modules that you would specifically enjoy
- A uni that ranks highly in league tables
It really is situational and branches off what you count as a good uni.
And of course this is all subject dependent too as each has a different rank in the Uk and worldwide.
In Uk Durham is well renowned but not so much worldwide except for in certain subjects
RoyalBeams
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TypicalAsian21)
Everyone in the UK says it’s like btec oxbridge and hypes it up to be an extremely good uni. But when I ask my international friend they say they haven’t got a clue what it is.
Anyone saying Durham is BTEC oxbridge is probably a boisterous and ignorant kid. So do not listen to such people.

Durham is one of UK's top universities; and considering that the UK has the highest concentration of quality universities amongst all the countries in the world, a university like Durham that is definitely one of the Top13/14 best universities overall (by any reasonable assessment) in the UK is an extremely good university.

It is a university that has high entry requirements and admits quality students; many who just missed out on getting into Oxbridge. Its graduates compete favourable for the elite jobs in the UK.

It is just not research focused, so I would put it further down (not Top13/14) for research. More in the range of Top 17 to 20.

It is also not highly internationally known (maybe that is why your friend does not know much about it). Durham's prestige is mainly in the UK.
Materol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RoyalBeams)
Anyone saying Durham is BTEC oxbridge is probably a boisterous and ignorant kid. So do not listen to such people.

Durham is one of UK's top universities; and considering that the UK has the highest concentration of quality universities amongst all the countries in the world, a university like Durham that is definitely one of the Top13/14 best universities overall (by any reasonable assessment) in the UK is an extremely good university.

It is a university that has high entry requirements and admits quality students; many who just missed out on getting into Oxbridge. Its graduates compete favourable for the elite jobs in the UK.

It is just not research focused, so I would put it further down (not Top13/14) for research. More in the range of Top 17 to 20.

It is also not highly internationally known (maybe that is why your friend does not know much about it). Durham's prestige is mainly in the UK.
Would you say St Andrews is better than Durham out of interest?
RoyalBeams
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Materol)
Would you say St Andrews is better than Durham out of interest?
Very close but I would personally put Durham over St Andrews at the moment.

Durham is more research-oriented and has a richer alumni.

St Andrews is more internationally known than Durham, but I don't think that is based on academics/quality merit.

All this said, with devolvement of powers and the number of Americans flocking to St Andrews, I would expect St Andrews to have a richer alumni in another 10-15 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.24%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (22)
22.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (44)
44.9%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
16.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
4.08%

Watched Threads