I have moved down sets for everything

Watch
Jonniewobble
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So in year 8, I did really well in most of my end of year exams, however, maths is the only one I didn't do so well on, I got a 57% score, my school is in the Star academies, but I won't specify, my school doesn't have enough teachers for maths English and science to take place at the same time, so we have these things called 'bands' Band A is set 1 and 2, Band B is set 3,4,5, I was in band A last year, and you can never be in both bands at the same time, you go up to set 2 for something, you go up for everything, vice versa, for some reason, despite me doing well in my end of year exams I flopped only maths and now I have gone to set 3 for everything, such a nasty surprise, I really want to get back up but it is near impossible, all my teachers don't know what happened, this moving down has caused me so much stress and depression, I just think about most of my friends in Band A, and how good teacher they have, I am begging for some advice, for some reason, I seem to be middle of the pack in every class that I am in, I'm am in Y9, only Y10 and Y11, Band oA get to do more advanced subjects, I feel lots of opportunities slipping away from me, I won't get to do triple science, please, I am in tears writing this, please help me, please I beg you, I want to be able to reach my full potential, if anyone has any advice please share, I already spoke to my teachers and they just say they don't know what happened
Last edited by Jonniewobble; 1 month ago
perplexed turtle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jonniewobble)
So in year 8, I did really well in most of my end of year exams, however, maths is the only one I didn't do so well on, I got a 57% score, my school is in the Star academies, but I won't specify, my school doesn't have enough teachers for maths English and science to take place at the same time, so we have these things called 'bands' Band A is set 1 and 2, Band B is set 3,4,5, I was in band A last year, and you can never be in both bands at the same time, you go up to set 2 for something, you go up for everything, vice versa, for some reason, despite me doing well in my end of year exams I flopped only maths and now I have gone to set 3 for everything, such a nasty surprise, I really want to get back up but it is near impossible, all my teachers don't know what happened, this moving down has caused me so much stress and depression, I just think about most of my friends in Band A, and how good teacher they have, I am begging for some advice, for some reason, I seem to be middle of the pack in every class that I am in, I'm am in Y9, only Y10 and Y11, Band oA get to do more advanced subjects, I feel lots of opportunities slipping away from me, I won't get to do triple science, please, I am in tears writing this, please help me, please I beg you, I want to be able to reach my full potential, if anyone has any advice please share, I already spoke to my teachers and they just say they don't know what happened
surely you can move back into band A? sorry if i am misinterpreting what you are saying, but if your maths score was a one-off, you can get into a higher set for your next test?
Jonniewobble
Rep:
?
some student got swapped out with me and three others, so spots in band a are likely full, it's gonna be REALLY hard to snag someone's spot, and they are likely there to stay, btw I consistently did bad in maths in year 8, I literally got a 10% so 5/50 on one test, teacher literally made me retake it, retake I got 21/50, it was a hard test, I was slowly improving throught the year, until I guess my improvement too slow
perplexed turtle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
some student got swapped out with me and three others, so spots in band a are likely full, it's gonna be REALLY hard to snag someone's spot, and they are likely there to stay, btw I consistently did bad in maths in year 8, I literally got a 10% so 5/50 on one test, teacher literally made me retake it, retake I got 21/50, it was a hard test, I was slowly improving throught the year, until I guess my improvement too slow
sets don't matter at all. just grind for the gcses- who cares about sets if you could be getting 9s and 8s for GCSE if you put the work in?
Jonniewobble
Rep:
?
yeah I know but I don't want to say high school was a bad experience,
Jonniewobble
Rep:
?
besides higher sets get to do more advanced subject, which in turn will give them more potential, in my current sets, there are a bunch of idiots who ruin everything, constantly try to be tardy and just hold up the class
summerberry19
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
besides higher sets get to do more advanced subject, which in turn will give them more potential, in my current sets, there are a bunch of idiots who ruin everything, constantly try to be tardy and just hold up the class
If the higher sets’ course differs from yours, definitely talk to your teachers
perplexed turtle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i think you just need to take matters into your own hands. they will learn these advanced subjects, but how would this affect their GCSE performance?
focus on doing well on topics that are required for gcse- i was in low sets as well (especially for english and science), and my teachers weren't any help either- so i put the effort in and achieved the grades i wanted. and you can definitely do it too.
Jonniewobble
Rep:
?
they just say they don't know what happened, I was suddenly put in the bottom set for IT or as you might know it computing, only top 30 kids get to do computer science, rest do IT, I'm not asking to be in CS, I just wanna be able to reach my full potential
Jonniewobble
Rep:
?
yeah I definitely am gonna go for it, sucks to be dropped down from set 1 and 2to 3 and a few 4s, but none of the revision techniques I'm using are working, I don't think all nighters are gonna work,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (122)
28.91%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.91%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed