Turn on thread page Beta

Moronic things people tell you about Oxbridge watch

My critical thinking AS teacher told me that you have to take critical thinking AS to be able to go to Oxford or Cambridge.

Riiiiiiiight.

What's the most ignorant/false/downright imbecilic thing you've been told about Oxbridge?

People who set paper on fire/do a poo on the carpet/do some other outrageous act at an interview get offers.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that you have to have 5A*s to get an interview at Oxford. By the way, this comment only applies to students from Private schools. To be honest, I think that's stupid. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    On your first day at Oxford

The final years shove the first years heads down the toilets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    On your first day at Oxford

The final years shove the first years heads down the toilets.
    Is that an Oxford rumour or a secondary school rumour?

ReputationRep:
    That Cambridge is a 'brotherhood'...

(My school arranged an mock interview with the headteacher of a local grammar school who used to go to Cambridge. He asked me what I could bring to the 'brotherhood' of Cambridge. )

ReputationRep:
    My cousin's best friend's dog's former owner's ex-girlfriend's stepdaughter got asked to tell her interviewer about a banana. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    I think the most moronic thing I've heard about Oxbridge is that it's "the only place you can get a 'proper degree'". What ******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    My critical thinking AS teacher told me that you have to take critical thinking AS to be able to go to Oxford or Cambridge.

Riiiiiiiight.

What's the most ignorant/false/downright imbecilic thing you've been told about Oxbridge?
    Tch, talk about vested interest!

Show 'em this to increase your credibility/reputation (sorry, dropping in the buzz words here) - although I still think Critical Thinking is useful as an extra subject. It's helped me a lot when it comes to structuring essays.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Umm...mine was probably that it's worse if you've done A level Law than if you haven't. I can't find the link right now, but I'm sure Oxford said they won't discriminate against people who haven't done Law (although one of my cousins said it helps since the first year repeats some of the A level content. Meh).

EDIT: Yeah, here we go. Backed up with sources and everything.

Should I study any particular subjects at school?

At least a C grade in GCSE Mathematics (or equivalent) is normally required. For Law with Law Studies in Europe (but not for the regular Law degree) you must normally have studied a European language to A-level (or equivalent) - in most cases the language of the country you want to go to during your degree (see further below). Otherwise your choice of subjects at school is your own. Strictly academic subjects matter most. Both arts and sciences are helpful. Studying law at school confers no particular advantage or disadvantage. When colleges are comparing A-level results and predictions they may attach reduced importance to General Studies.
    http://denning.law.ox.ac.uk/undergra...dmitfaqs.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    People who set paper on fire/do a poo on the carpet/do some other outrageous act at an interview get offers.
    Hehe, I thought there was some kind of brick throwing one as well? :p:

ReputationRep:
    That it's one uni :rofl:

(Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Hehe, I thought there was some kind of brick throwing one as well? :p:
    Yes, there's that one too. A friend who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who was asked to throw a brick out the window at an interview. He threw it out, smashing the glass, but was told he could've just opened the window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)

Riiiiiiiight.

My school doesn't even do Critical Thinking. But then again, I wouldn't want to go to Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    That you can study any period of history.

ReputationRep:
    That Cambridge is better than (or even as good as) Oxford.

[/irritating gimp]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Is that an Oxford rumour or a secondary school rumour?
    It's an Oxford rumour

It's actually true in secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick Puppy)
    That it's one uni :rofl:
    Haha.
    That everyone who goes there is posh and rich. I was told by a classmate of mine that I was going to become a "stuck-up, pompous snob" just by going to Cambridge. I think not.

ReputationRep:
    I once told a first year at my college that at President's Collections (formal feedback session once a year with the head of the college involving gowns and all) if you were performing in the bottom third of your year he'd ceremonially slap you round the face with a white glove. He ended up asking one of the welfare deans if it was true :s

For unknowingly stupid things... I had an American woman I was chatting to on the train to Norwich ask me how long it would be before I got off at Cambridge (I was on my way back from Oxford at the end of term). When I pointed out that the train didn't go to Cambridge, and that I had no reason to go there anyway as I'd told her I lived in Norwich she replied with, "oh, but how are you going to get to Oxford university then?"

This led to an argument where I tried to tell her that Oxford University isn't in Cambridge and she insisted her guidebook said it did. Obviously actually studying there wasn't enough for me to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    I think the most moronic thing I've heard about Oxbridge is that it's "the only place you can get a 'proper degree'". What ******.
    I know! :rolleyes:

They do Arts subjects there, of course you're not going to get a proper degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    I know! :rolleyes:

They do Arts subjects there, of course you're not going to get a proper degree!
    Told that I shouldn't apply to Cambridge for Economics because the degree is a Ba and would get laughed at by employers.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.