pmcgx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’ve recently started y12 and i’m doing a levels (biology, chemistry and geography) and i’m finding it really hard to keep on top of notes and revision resources, and basically keeping on top of things in general.

it’s affecting me negatively as i went from getting an a* in chemistry (in one of my recent tests) to a u and idek what to do anymore. tomorrow i have a biology test on biological molecules, i’ve managed to 1/4 of the revision but again i’m finding it hard especially when it comes to motivation, idk what to do, every time i look at my desk i feel sick and i’m fed up of getting awful grades but how am i supposed to improve when there’s so much to do.

if anyone could give any advice or previous experiences on when they’ve been in a similar situation that would be helpful bc at this point i wanna drop out and i don’t see myself going to uni anymore.
Username123455
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pmcgx)
i’ve recently started y12 and i’m doing a levels (biology, chemistry and geography) and i’m finding it really hard to keep on top of notes and revision resources, and basically keeping on top of things in general.

it’s affecting me negatively as i went from getting an a* in chemistry (in one of my recent tests) to a u and idek what to do anymore. tomorrow i have a biology test on biological molecules, i’ve managed to 1/4 of the revision but again i’m finding it hard especially when it comes to motivation, idk what to do, every time i look at my desk i feel sick and i’m fed up of getting awful grades but how am i supposed to improve when there’s so much to do.

if anyone could give any advice or previous experiences on when they’ve been in a similar situation that would be helpful bc at this point i wanna drop out and i don’t see myself going to uni anymore.
Negative mindset wont help you get anywhere, just causes you to stress more and not do any work. Try to destress, take a 5 minute break and look at your work again.
pmcgx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Username123455)
Negative mindset wont help you get anywhere, just causes you to stress more and not do any work. Try to destress, take a 5 minute break and look at your work again.
i understand that, i’m trying to be open minded as possible but it’s so difficult, in terms of doing 5 minute breaks i’ve been practising the pomodora technique which seems to be okay
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I got a D in the lower sixth and a B in the real thing. It was an arduous journey, and yours will be too, but you've got to think about how refreshing it'll be when you get those grades! Incentives will give you the motivation you need, because that's what they're there for!
Last edited by Tolgash; 1 month ago
pmcgx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgash)
Hey, I got a D in the lower sixth and a B in the real thing. It was an arduous journey, and yours will be too, but you've got to think about how refreshing it'll be when you get those grades! Incentives will help give you the motivation you need!
that’s a good point, thank u
IkathleenI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I felt the exact same way (just started yr12 too btw) I’ve found that the best way to manage time is to make a plan, or buy a planner of some kind. Write down everything you need to get done for that week such as homework and get it done as soon as possible after you’re given it. Once you’ve completed homework I feel it helps with how you feel about doing the rest of your work, idk to me it’s refreshing knowing that the only work I need to do is revision. Also, Please go easy on yourself, not getting the best grade here and there won’t harm you as long as you do things to improve it, find something to motivate you whatever it is. It might be a job you want in the future or even something as simple as watching YouTube after you’ve done your work as a way to distress. I believe you can do this so keep going, it’ll be a struggle but imagine how proud you’ll feel when you receive great results
Last edited by IkathleenI; 1 month ago
421salpho
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i felt exactly the same when i was in sixth form- i couldn’t get motivated and my grades started dropping. what helped me was rather than doing work at home, i spent all my breaks and free time in the library doing my work so there’s less to be done at home. i found that since you’re in a learning environment it’s easier to do work there than where you should be relaxing at home. it’s a bit difficult knowing your mates are having fun in the sixth form area but honestly you’ll thank yourself later for it- even if you don’t do it all the time. i sometimes stayed behind too so i could stay motivated to do work, or visited my local library so the temptation of getting into bed and watching tv wasn’t there hahahaha. also i noticed you said you find it hard to keep on top of notes, by the end of year 12 all i was doing was rereading my class notes not making new ones and just smashing out past papers and redoing them until i got near enough 100% on each paper, it’s the best way to revise and prepare for your exams especially since you’ll know the layout of the papers and exam boards tend to “recycle” questions from year to year so chances are if you do enough you’ll get high grades each time. i hope this helps you a bit, but also try not to stress too much! it’s a big jump from GCSE to A level and don’t worry too much about mocks/class tests, as long as you do what you can and do well in the final exams that’s all that matters
421salpho
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also if you’re struggling content wise- tailored tutors is brilliant. it’s quite expensive but it goes over EVERYTHING and they have videos, papers and tutorials for every exam board for bio and chem. if you struggle with maths too, khan academy is brilliant (and free!) and i wish i’d known about it when i was in sixth form!!
ThiagoBrigido
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make sure you work hard as well as eating well and sleep well, so you don't burnout.
Username123455
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I

(Original post by 421salpho)
also if you’re struggling content wise- tailored tutors is brilliant. it’s quite expensive but it goes over EVERYTHING and they have videos, papers and tutorials for every exam board for bio and chem. if you struggle with maths too, khan academy is brilliant (and free!) and i wish i’d known about it when i was in sixth form!!
Khan academy only tailors towards american grades though...
pmcgx
Rep:
?
hey guys, the advice you’ve given is super helpful and i appreciate that so much, not only will it help me but also others in the same boat so thank u everyone <33
421salpho
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Username123455)
I

Khan academy only tailors towards american grades though...
yes but it helps to explain the topics and helps people to understand if they didn’t do so before
RachellyWahnon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ThiagoBrigido)
Make sure you work hard as well as eating well and sleep well, so you don't burnout.
wish there was time 4 that
laura ferrao
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pmcgx)

So I'm taking geo, physics and maths. I'm definitely not an organised person and always struggled to keep up with homework and flashcards. Have you made a study timetable? I'd say that's a crucial thing to do. Obviously devote more time to bio and chem (geo is a no brainer). If you do create a study timetable maybe allocate specific time periods to specific tasks eg. If your doing chemistry after school on Friday, make revision notes as you may be tired after a week of school.
I'd also advise you to work ahead. Over Xmas go through the next 2-3 topics and study the content, make notes and practice questions. Then when you go back to school next year you'll have a good enough understanding of the topics and it'll also give you a bit more leeway to revise previous topics.

I'm in Year 12 too and I did that over half term. I went from doing a Physics text at the start of the year where I got a D and left so many blanks to a test where I was able to attempt and answer every question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (85)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (129)
28.29%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (167)
36.62%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (61)
13.38%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.07%

Watched Threads