About to get moved down a set in maths after blanking out on the exam

Watch
eukiya
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I’m currently in year 9, but in top set maths we do the gcse a year early, so I’m here. Unfortunately I just did my maths end of term test and paper a was fine, but paper b was terrible. I answered maybe 2 questions out of the whole paper and just completely had a meltdown from stress and blanked out. Unfortunately there was a small mishap during the exam where my friend noticed I was shaking and out of his pure niceness tried to communicate and give me a hint to the answer to one of the questions. I didn’t know what to do and responded with a “?”The teacher saw this and I will be punished for “cheating”, and there is not much hope in gaining her sympathy because I know I just shouldn’t have responded.I’m going to be moved down a set in maths, and that means I’ll be put a year behind for the GCSE. The issue is I’m finding the current set completely fine and I just gave way to a really bad day at home combined with a really bad day at school, I really wouldn’t like to be put down a class into a class where the teacher is not very good (I’ve had him before) and the students are disruptive.What do I do? I emailed the teacher but she won’t respond.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's probably better to do the GCSE in the usual time frame. Nobody cares whether you sat a GCSE early or not, and nobody will ever know (or care) what set you were in at GCSE once you move to A-level assuming you take the higher tier exam (if they care about anything it'll be your grade in the exam, and even that is debatable).

GCSEs are truly barely meaningful, as long as you pass ~5 including English language and maths, they are really going to have very little influence on your life in the near and distant future. So you may want to look into speaking to your GP or school counsellor about the effect this is having on you, if your response to what is essentially a fairly minor qualification in the grand scheme of your life is having a panic attack.
eukiya
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's probably better to do the GCSE in the usual time frame. Nobody cares whether you sat a GCSE early or not, and nobody will ever know (or care) what set you were in at GCSE once you move to A-level assuming you take the higher tier exam (if they care about anything it'll be your grade in the exam, and even that is debatable).

GCSEs are truly barely meaningful, as long as you pass ~5 including English language and maths, they are really going to have very little influence on your life in the near and distant future. So you may want to look into speaking to your GP or school counsellor about the effect this is having on you, if your response to what is essentially a fairly minor qualification in the grand scheme of your life is having a panic attack.
I appreciate your reply! It just feels so incredibly annoying to work really hard and for it all to just feel like a waste of time...I go a prestigious private school and it’s almost like maths and science determines your self worth there.

I would also just rather be in the class where I am comfortable for the entirety of the GCSE course, again I hope you understand.
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you spoken to your parents about it?
eukiya
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV123)
Have you spoken to your parents about it?
Yes, they don’t know about the “cheating” I’m being accused of because I’m honestly too scared to say anything and they might get the wrong idea. I’m generally an A/A* student and don’t cheat, I’m not sure what happened today and well, I didn’t cheat.
However we have talked about the sets and it’s very obvious they would rather me stay in my current set but it’s impossible because my teacher isn’t replying to the email, and I’m getting very scared for tomorrow as we get results back. I just want to hide in a cardboard box and run from it all.
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by eukiya)
Yes, they don’t know about the “cheating” I’m being accused of because I’m honestly too scared to say anything and they might get the wrong idea. I’m generally an A/A* student and don’t cheat, I’m not sure what happened today and well, I didn’t cheat.
However we have talked about the sets and it’s very obvious they would rather me stay in my current set but it’s impossible because my teacher isn’t replying to the email, and I’m getting very scared for tomorrow as we get results back. I just want to hide in a cardboard box and run from it all.
Why were you particularly stressed? Maybe your parents would’ve able to make a case for you but you would probably have to be honest with them. It’s a stressful time for a lot of people.
eukiya
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV123)
Why were you particularly stressed? Maybe your parents would’ve able to make a case for you but you would probably have to be honest with them. It’s a stressful time for a lot of people.
Well, for the exam I was aware that my dad had helped me go over the material a lot and I had personally worked really hard, and I just wanted to do well so badly, to prove that I could do something. And for tomorrow, I’m just scared of what the teacher might say and how our relationship would be impacted because she’s nice to those she likes but horrible to those she doesn’t. Also, very strict. I have maths period 8 tomorrow and I just really don’t want to face her.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
actions have consequences.
Its unfortunate but if your teacher is unwilling to reconsider then you may have to learn to live with this. The only suggestion I can think of is to ask for a resit attempt and see if your teacher lets you re-do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads