Turn on thread page Beta

Merlin watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    did anyone watch this? i thought it was really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas8)
    did anyone watch this? i thought it was really good.
    Yes i did watch it,i also thought that it was well written and well produced and quite looking forward to the next episode.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Shockingly bad. What is it with people going around ruining perfectly good stories and myths these days?

And Guinevere is supposed to be beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the setting. Is camelot a made up part of england with its own king?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was OK, not that great but enjoyable enough to watch the next episode

(Original post by iGurpreet)
    I don't get the setting. Is camelot a made up part of england with its own king?
    Sort of. Way back when England was not unified there were many "kings" of example there were kings of Wessex, Kent and many other places. Camelot is one of these kingdoms, if it existed (some documentary my Dad was watching said there was evidence that it did but I wasn't really paying attention.)

Albion is an old name of the British Isle (I think) (I know you didn't ask but I thought I would answer anyway).

ReputationRep:
    I was entirely underwhelmed, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't professing to be about Merlin. If they were going to entirely invent their own plot they could at least have had the decency to invent their own characters too, rather than trading on the popularity of the Arthurian legends. I have no problems with people interpreting the stories (in fact, I love reading different versions), but *******ising them beyond recognition is taking it a little too far for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    I found it strange that there were stained glass windows in the castle when the arthurian legend takes place at around the 5th or 6th century.....sigh.

I don't know how they managed to rope in so many famous actors.

ReputationRep:
    It was ok. Started losing interest though. Doubt i'll be watching it next week.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the programme was ok actually. Will probs tune in to watch this coming sat cos there isn't really anything else good at that time.

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly the worst hour of TV I've seen in a long time. It had NOTHING to do with the proper myths or Once and Future King or any fiction written about the legends.

Merlin is a guardian figure for Arthur, not a servant. And much older.
    Uther didn't banish magic, he used Merlin to help him father Arthur with his enemies wife.
    It's entirely the wrong period.
    There are two dragons under the castle. Red and White?
    Camelot was moved into by Arthur, long after Uther, his main castle was at Caerleon, though the two may be the same.
    Morgan is seeming like she might be nice...or at least, not Arthur's half-sister, Uther said "charge", might be the same thing.
    All the characters were Romano-Celt not faux-Crusade or similar period.

Just, just, just...ARGH!

:mad:

If I didn't know the myths I'd quite like it. A generic mediaeval story would be quite good but not abusing Merlin's good name and then out-and-out lying. Fine, have a different version, but this one took it too far. Apologies if I've made any mistakes in my accusations.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather lick David Cameron's shoe than watch the next episode. And he treads on tramps and crackheads.

ReputationRep:
    Well it was alot better than Robin Hood

ReputationRep:
    What isn't better than Robin Hood?

ReputationRep:
    I found it strange that there were stained glass windows in the castle when the arthurian legend takes place at around the 5th or 6th century.....sigh
    Arthur - if he ever really existed - may have lived in the 5th/6th century but the Arthurian legend doesn't take place in any particular period. It's always been 'anachronistic' (though this isn't the best word to use when talking about Arthuriana). There are even cannons in Malory. If you want to be pedantic and only stick to historical fact, then Merlin himself has no place in the story of Arthur. You have to get rid of Lancelot and Guinevere too (their affair only came in with Chretien de Troyes in the 12th century).

All the characters were Romano-Celt not faux-Crusade or similar period.
    Says who? Maybe the 'historical' Arthur was, but Lancelot wasn't. Merlin was based on a character called Myrrdin Wyllt from Welsh legend and folklore, a madman of the woods; so from the start, he's had no fixed historical identity, but is ever-shifting and elusive. And what about the various incarnations of Sir Gawain? Have you ever read SGGK? He's not Romano-Celt in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wyrd14)
    Says who? Maybe the 'historical' Arthur was, but Lancelot wasn't. Merlin was based on a character called Myrrdin Wyllt from Welsh legend and folklore, a madman of the woods; so from the start, he's had no fixed historical identity, but is ever-shifting and elusive. And what about the various incarnations of Sir Gawain? Have you ever read SGGK? He's not Romano-Celt in that.
    I'm fully aware of Myrddin Wyllt (You spelt it wrong, rr isn't a Welsh letter). I'm fully aware that many of other "characters" in the Arthur Mythology are non-existant and purely fictitious. I'm fully aware that some of the characters are set in medieval times as the versions of the story were set then.
    What I meant was that the origins and the integral part of the story's mythology, it's lead character, if at all true, and it's a big if, comes from the old Celtic. Merlin, as you've said, is partially based on Welsh stories. The series is about him and, as all Arthurian mythology must be, Arthur himself. If Gawain and Lancelot come to the fore, good for them, but the current line up, excepting Morgan le Fay, is old Romano-Celt.

ReputationRep:
    Only on an internet forum could you get this level of pedantry :rofl:

It's a legend passed down, it's very nature means that new twists and additions are allowed.

I preferred Robin Hood though, I don't really like magic and fantasy on the whole.

It wasn't great - how did they get all those big names in it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It's hardly pedantry. It's the most bizarre attempt at an adaptation I've seen, even more so than Twain's effort.

ReputationRep:
    I'm enjoying it, but I admit the myth is very much destroyed in it.
    I'm thinking of it as a story in its own right - it doesn't seem quite so bad that way.

Myth-destroying aside, I enjoyed the first two episodes. I'm not sure what could be a weirder combination though than Giles, Victor Meldrew, and Gaz, but there we go.

ReputationRep:
    Will Mellor as a knight from the Western Isles completely broke my suspension of disbelief.

ReputationRep:
    The trailer for this show looked absolutely diabolical. And the above poster is quite right - I started hyperventilating with laughter when I saw that Will Mellor was in it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.