About to get moved down a maths test after blanking in an exam

Watch
eukiya
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I’m currently in year 9, but in top set maths we do the gcse a year early, so I’m here. Unfortunately I just did my maths end of term test and paper a was fine, but paper b was terrible. I answered maybe 2 questions out of the whole paper and just completely had a meltdown from stress and blanked out. Unfortunately there was a small mishap during the exam where my friend noticed I was shaking and out of his pure niceness tried to communicate and give me a hint to the answer to one of the questions. I didn’t know what to do and responded with a “?”
The teacher saw this and I will be punished for “cheating”, and there is not much hope in gaining her sympathy because I know I just shouldn’t have responded.

I’m going to be moved down a set in maths, and that means I’ll be put a year behind for the GCSE. The issue is I’m finding the current set completely fine and I just gave way to a really bad day at home combined with a really bad day at school, I really wouldn’t like to be put down a class into a class where the teacher is not very good (I’ve had him before) and the students are disruptive.

I’m so gutted, I studied really hard for this.

What do I do? I emailed the teacher but she won’t respond.
Siimra_01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hello,

im sorry to hear about what happened with you. unfortunately teachers are not always the most understanding.

speak to either your form teacher, head of year or book a talk with a school counsellor or even if you see the headteacher. explain to someone to who knows you well (I.e the form teacher) and if not then someone of a higher position than your maths teacher or even another teacher in the department.

explain your situation fully and i think face to face is better. email and ask for a 1-1 talk with them so they know you are sincere.

lastly, suggest that you are willing to do a mock exam or trial test or sit a mini test at any time in isolation to prove yourself. explain the consistency in your previous marks too.

hoping this help x
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I doubt any one is moved sets on the basis of the performance in a single test - are you sure that you are going to be moved?
Siimra_01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some teachers are like this unfortunately
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (285)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (221)
43.68%

Watched Threads