22 and broke. Any job or career progression?

Watch
Kaizoku22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Currently broke (on universal credit) and need money but Idk if I should get a quick temp job like working retail at tescos or get a job in something I actually want to progress in like high ticket sales.

If I get a temp job and leave in a few months, I'm worried it'll look bad on my CV and my boss wouldn't have a good reference for me should I need one in the future. But then if I wait around to get accepted at a much better job, I'll be broke for a while

What should I do?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kaizoku22)
Currently broke (on universal credit) and need money but Idk if I should get a quick temp job like working retail at tescos or get a job in something I actually want to progress in like high ticket sales.

If I get a temp job and leave in a few months, I'm worried it'll look bad on my CV and my boss wouldn't have a good reference for me should I need one in the future. But then if I wait around to get accepted at a much better job, I'll be broke for a while

What should I do?
Wrong way to think.
Pursue both and then employers understand if you get a temp job to pay the bills.
You might find any job quite difficult to get at the moment.
Pursuing both doesnt prevent access to your long term plans. It is not either or.

Use the money from the temp job as a job hunting fund.
lbenson88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both, as previous person said.

Also there’s no obligation to put ALL your job experience down on your CV/ application form
(With some legal exceptions for gov ect) taking work experience out of a CV is no problem at all.

Basically if you have a bunch of temp and part time jobs on your cv to get by financially you don’t have to put them down if you feel like they don’t look good.

I had two jobs continuously through uni, a permanent part time hospitality job and a bunch of temp/ extra jobs I would do ad hoc to pick up money or experience, (think internships or month long contracts, or random temp uni jobs) most of the time I didn’t put the temp jobs on cv’s because it was a faff to explain. Unless it was relevant to the job I was applying for then I’d shove them in, selectively...
Last edited by lbenson88; 1 month ago
route255
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same situation but im older. Graduated this year, woo hoo flu cancelled job. On UC, I could be picky and wait for job. At the moment need the money. Ideally though im trying to get grad job, danger if falling into rut again.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kaizoku22)

What should I do?
Like has already been said. Look for whatever job you can get. Jobs are harder to come by at the moment.
Once you get a job you can progress onto better things.
At least if you have a job you have some sort of experience and you will also have a reference out of it as well.
I wouldn't worry too much about a job being a temp job. Future employers will understand that some jobs are only temp jobs for whatever reason.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do it. Do not worry either temp jobs are still jobs after all.
resitsutd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Amazon is the future. Loads of good jobs with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (213)
56.65%
I don't have everything I need (163)
43.35%

Watched Threads