The Student Room Group

My mother has my passport and won't let me to go the Uni I selected

I'm 18 and I need my passport and my parents won't give it to me. I know it's in a folder and I'll try get into that cupboard but I have until the 4th to get a guarantor also - such as HousingHand because my mum doesn't want to sign anything since she thinks she is paying. I have no other relatives who would be willing. I've contacted 101 about my passport being kept when it's my ID and is part of the crown. Do you guys have any advice on finance as a student who is basically estranged from my parents? Thank you for reading this.
Original post by mynameiszenik
I'm 18 and I need my passport and my parents won't give it to me. I know it's in a folder and I'll try get into that cupboard but I have until the 4th to get a guarantor also - such as HousingHand because my mum doesn't want to sign anything since she thinks she is paying. I have no other relatives who would be willing. I've contacted 101 about my passport being kept when it's my ID and is part of the crown. Do you guys have any advice on finance as a student who is basically estranged from my parents? Thank you for reading this.

When you say estranged? Are you living in the same house?
Could you report it stolen?
Speak to standalone.
https://www.standalone.org.uk/
Original post by 999tigger
When you say estranged? Are you living in the same house?
Could you report it stolen?
Speak to standalone.
https://www.standalone.org.uk/

Yes I am living in the same house. Although they won't support me in any way at all - she's still with holding my passport and I have yet to receive a reply from the Police.
Have you asked her why she is doing all this?
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
Have you asked her why she is doing all this?

I have asked her and apparently so I can get "free accommodation" yet I've wanted to move in with my girlfriend for a year which I've told her and all of a sudden she's told me she forgot which doesn't sound right. She has been controlling and manipulative - both parents have. I don't really understand myself :/
Original post by mynameiszenik
Yes I am living in the same house. Although they won't support me in any way at all - she's still with holding my passport and I have yet to receive a reply from the Police.

Speak to standalone. I expect the police will be reluctant to get involved.
Are you prepared for her to ask you to leave i.e kick you out? Hard to be estranged when in the same house.
Have you been granted independent student status?
I cant recall are you being funded via SFE?
Are you about to become a fresher or already one?
I assume this is for your student accommodation? Private hall or house?
Have you talked to the passport office?

Quick Reply

Latest