Turn on thread page Beta

I want to resign; help me out with getting my head around some stuff! watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Good day ladies and gentlemen.

As you probably understand from the thread title, I really want to resign from my job. I'm 17, I'm in upper 6th studying 4 A-levels, an AEA and STEP, and I'm finding that my school work is overloading me and I can't cope working an 8 hour shift every weekend.

But that's not my main reason for leaving. The real reason is that I feel underpaid (under £4.30/hour, no commission or staff discount), overworked and undervalued. My superviser seems to think it's my role (as a shop assistant) to make sure that all the staff in "my section" are doing their jobs right. If they're not, it falls back on me for some reason. I might add at this point that I've only been working there for 2 months. I'm given very contradictory advice from my superviser too, and he has a habit of one week telling me I'm the best person the department's had, and the next telling me that I'm not doing my job satisfactorially.

Now then, it now boils down to my resignation. Ideally I'd like to resign in a couple of weeks. This gives them enough time to get someone else to cover for me temporarily and to hire some new people, as they're constantly getting applications. The main dilemma I have is deciding what reason to give, and what to do after.

The two reasons I have are as follows:
    1) Too much school work ― this is less true but it's a good cop-out for avoiding offending them and ultimately getting a good reference. The only problem is that if I get a new job immediately after, it will be taken as being a lie. Also, could quitting a job due to too much school work be seen as lacking loyalty or persistence?

2) The other reasons I mentioned. The downfall of this is that I would probably have a hellish couple of weeks after I hand in my resignation, and I'm worried that it will affect my reference. I'm also worried that I'm interpreting everything wrong and that I'm just being a weakling who can't pull his socks up and do his job efficiently (although I can, I always get criticised for something).

I hope to get another job pretty soon; preferably one that pays more, since working for what I work for at the moment makes it really not worth it at all.

Help me out people... I can't get my head around it (hence the long post).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Good day ladies and gentlemen.

As you probably understand from the thread title, I really want to resign from my job. I'm 17, I'm in upper 6th studying 4 A-levels, an AEA and STEP, and I'm finding that my school work is overloading me and I can't cope working an 8 hour shift every weekend.

But that's not my main reason for leaving. The real reason is that I feel underpaid (under £4.30/hour, no commission or staff discount), overworked and undervalued. My superviser seems to think it's my role (as a shop assistant) to make sure that all the staff in "my section" are doing their jobs right. If they're not, it falls back on me for some reason. I might add at this point that I've only been working there for 2 months. I'm given very contradictory advice from my superviser too, and he has a habit of one week telling me I'm the best person the department's had, and the next telling me that I'm not doing my job satisfactorially.

Now then, it now boils down to my resignation. Ideally I'd like to resign in a couple of weeks. This gives them enough time to get someone else to cover for me temporarily and to hire some new people, as they're constantly getting applications. The main dilemma I have is deciding what reason to give, and what to do after.

The two reasons I have are as follows:
    1) Too much school work ― this is less true but it's a good cop-out for avoiding offending them and ultimately getting a good reference. The only problem is that if I get a new job immediately after, it will be taken as being a lie. Also, could quitting a job due to too much school work be seen as lacking loyalty or persistence?

2) The other reasons I mentioned. The downfall of this is that I would probably have a hellish couple of weeks after I hand in my resignation, and I'm worried that it will affect my reference. I'm also worried that I'm interpreting everything wrong and that I'm just being a weakling who can't pull his socks up and do his job efficiently (although I can, I always get criticised for something).

I hope to get another job pretty soon; preferably one that pays more, since working for what I work for at the moment makes it really not worth it at all.

Help me out people... I can't get my head around it (hence the long post).
    I can understand perfectly where you are coming from, if your school work is suffering/will suffer then jack your job in. Secondly the other reason why your leaving, the responsibility aspect, I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago, I was being paid the same as a person sitting on a till when I was doing a supervisors job, what I did was apply for a more senior role with the same hours but for you I would talk to your line manager/supervisor and discuss this with them face to face maybe he will realise that you shouldnt be required to manage your department when you do 8 hours a week at £4 something.

However, if your school work is becoming difficult just quit but dont say "I'm resigning because I was being asked to do more than I was suppose to .......", when you write your letter of resignation then just state that you need to concentrate on your academic stuff and say "I would like to thank you and all the other staff members for giving me the oppotunity to learn new skills over the past few months." That should make your last couple of weeks run smoothly.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by davireland)
    I can understand perfectly where you are coming from, if your school work is suffering/will suffer then jack your job in. Secondly the other reason why your leaving, the responsibility aspect, I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago, I was being paid the same as a person sitting on a till when I was doing a supervisors job, what I did was apply for a more senior role with the same hours but for you I would talk to your line manager/supervisor and discuss this with them face to face maybe he will realise that you shouldnt be required to manage your department when you do 8 hours a week at £4 something.

However, if your school work is becoming difficult just quit but dont say "I'm resigning because I was being asked to do more than I was suppose to .......", when you write your letter of resignation then just state that you need to concentrate on your academic stuff and say "I would like to thank you and all the other staff members for giving me the oppotunity to learn new skills over the past few months." That should make your last couple of weeks run smoothly.
    Thanks, that definitely helps; the only problem is, what will I do if I then want another job in the next few weeks? Often when you have to fill in an application form they ask you for a "reason for leaving": surely if I was leaving due to an academic overload, they'd be worried that either I'd do the same for them, or that I was lying, or some other outcome?

You don't have to give your employer a reason for leaving. In the letter simply add to "I hereby tender my resignation with 'x' weeks effect" with some lovey-dovey "Thanks for the ride" sort of waffle. :yy:

Thanks, that definitely helps; the only problem is, what will I do if I then want another job in the next few weeks? Often when you have to fill in an application form they ask you for a "reason for leaving": surely if I was leaving due to an academic overload, they'd be worried that either I'd do the same for them, or that I was lying, or some other outcome?
    Get creative. Say the working hours in your previous role were unsatisfactory or you saw this job opportunity and thought it was perfect for you. I would say something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get a new job in a few weeks then thats your decision no-one elses. If an application says why did u leave then just state your reason for leaving was being unapprieciated (which is not a lie is it?)
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by davireland)
    If you want to get a new job in a few weeks then thats your decision no-one elses. If an application says why did u leave then just state your reason for leaving was being unapprieciated (which is not a lie is it?)
    If I said to one employer that it was unappreciation and to another that it was academia, would they ever find out? :p:

ReputationRep:
    If I said to one employer that it was unappreciation and to another that it was academia, would they ever find out? :p:
    Thats a chance you take, personally, I wouldnt care. If they found out then you probably wouldnt get a job but its unlikely they would find out, because references are rarely checked especially if you dont put that shop as one of your references, just put your head of 6th form and a family friend.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Alright, thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Urm, say it's too far away r jsut look for a different job in the mean while then hand in your notice and your reason being can then be -new job
    ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.