Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've struggled with anxiety (mostly social) for a long time now but I've never seeked help since I'm generally too nervous to talk to people about it. I think it's gotten worse since covid as I hardly have to leave the house and so the only people I talk to at uni now are my housemates.

I've noticed my anxiety is affecting my work as I study a science so we have practicals and I've slowly stopped attending them. I was really good at the start of the year since I knew everyone was new and no one really knew each other but now I've stopped going as people were making friends and hanging out in groups and I felt left out. I don't want my work to suffer and I know I need to get help for this. Where can I start? I don't really know who to go to at my uni for help
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Stop feeling sorry for yourself you can't blame your anxiety for not doing your work either do it or not you snowflake
I'm not lol I've done all my work I just haven't been able to attend practicals due to literally having a panic attack when I leave my house not exactly something I can control
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
I feel you cuz feel the same
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I've struggled with anxiety (mostly social) for a long time now but I've never seeked help since I'm generally too nervous to talk to people about it. I think it's gotten worse since covid as I hardly have to leave the house and so the only people I talk to at uni now are my housemates.

I've noticed my anxiety is affecting my work as I study a science so we have practicals and I've slowly stopped attending them. I was really good at the start of the year since I knew everyone was new and no one really knew each other but now I've stopped going as people were making friends and hanging out in groups and I felt left out. I don't want my work to suffer and I know I need to get help for this. Where can I start? I don't really know who to go to at my uni for help
it must be hard feeling like this, I completely understand how you're feeling as I was once in this position, I would recommend start by contacting the wellbeing services at your uni - this may sound like a big step but for sure they will do their best to accommodate your needs and it will be worth it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I'm not lol I've done all my work I just haven't been able to attend practicals due to literally having a panic attack when I leave my house not exactly something I can control
You can't keep blaming it on mental health, if you are at work and you don't going in youd get sacked
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
You can't keep blaming it on mental health, if you are at work and you don't going in youd get sacked
this is beyond insensitive, you obviously lack empathy and criticising people behind a computer screen really shows your integrity or so lack off. please go check yourself.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
this is beyond insensitive, you obviously lack empathy and criticising people behind a computer screen really shows your integrity or so lack off. please go check yourself.
I'm just telling you facts mate because in the real world you can't sit there staying at home feeling sorry for yourself because you have mental health issues
421salpho
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
and that’s exactly why mental health issues should be classed as a valid reason to stay off work in this country.
421salpho
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

i’d start by going to your personal tutor, write them an email saying you’re struggling and you’d like some help. they’ll give you some advice and might even refer you to the unis well-being services. hope this helps!!
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah you wouldn't, if you explained the situation they'd more than likely be very understanding.
nc127
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please ignore the insensitive anon poster. They are wrong.
In the "real world", you should have your situation addressed professionally.

I will echo what some others here have said and start by contacting your personal tutor. That might feel hard to do right now but I promise you'll feel better for it afterward. Chances are they have dealt with this situation many times before so don't feel bad asking them for help. That's what they're there for.
Your university's wellbeing and/or mental health services should also be a big help to you.

I know how difficult it is to deal with severe anxiety while in education. Reaching out for help is always better than suffering by yourself, and you've already taken the first step by asking on here! I wish you all the best.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zKlown)
Nah you wouldn't, if you explained the situation they'd more than likely be very understanding.
They might understand but they still are more likely to sack you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 421salpho)
and that’s exactly why mental health issues should be classed as a valid reason to stay off work in this country.
No it shouldn't
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nc127)
Please ignore the insensitive anon poster. They are wrong.
In the "real world", you should have your situation addressed professionally.

I will echo what some others here have said and start by contacting your personal tutor. That might feel hard to do right now but I promise you'll feel better for it afterward. Chances are they have dealt with this situation many times before so don't feel bad asking them for help. That's what they're there for.
Your university's wellbeing and/or mental health services should also be a big help to you.

I know how difficult it is to deal with severe anxiety while in education. Reaching out for help is always better than suffering by yourself, and you've already taken the first step by asking on here! I wish you all the best.
Op is anon as well and no your boss isn't going to keep you on because you have mental issues he is more likely to get a normal sane person to hire
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Sorry to hear about this! Definitely try speaking to your academic supervisor about your anxiety and he or she may be able to signpost you elsewhere either within your uni or externally for the appropriate support you need. I would also contact your GP if you haven't already got medical evidence for your anxiety as you can use that to apply for a Student Support Plan (SSP) or whatever your uni calls it and hopefully that will help a bit with your anxiety.
Arden University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hey there,

I also struggled with this starting off university, and sometimes I still do. You are actually trying to do something to tackle this by opening about it here, which is really ideal because it just shows how determined you are to take yourself out of this frustrating loop. I attend an online university where face-to-face interaction is usually only two days a week. I thought at first that people will probably think it won't help me get out of my shell. Oh how wrong they were. It actually pushed me to broaden my social circle through online social apps or other online platforms that allow you to interact with a wider range of people.
The advise I can give you is, take these moments where you are on your own to just figure out things about yourself, or things you know about yourself and use them. It's not a great feeling to put yourself down, so I always try to focus on what I'm capable of and hone in on them.
I really hope this helped! You're never alone.

- Danniela, Student Ambassador
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
I agree with what most of the comments say. Please see the wellbeing services at your uni.

I was in the same situation and unfortunately, even my closest persons could not understand me. Although I assumed I was doing good at the start, I had difficulties making friends or being part of a group or making basic conversations. I started slacking, felt my chest throbbing, my legs lagging behind and I missed classes. It was something that I could not seem to control. I felt ashamed to seek the wellbeing services, wondering how the "closest person" would perceive it and because of the robust expectations that society sets up.

I managed to scrap a Merit out of my master's degree but I now regret not taking control over my life earlier. Asking for help is not shameful. I wished I had asked for help. I could have enjoyed my uni life at its best, even at a Merit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (78)
18.1%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.77%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (162)
37.59%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.53%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed