Turn on thread page Beta

basically i have hardly drunk alcohol in my life. i have had about 3 pints of beer (stella and foster) and have been tipsy on 2 occasions. i am 18. my friend wants me to come to some club soon with his mates, and basically i don't really know if i should. i don't want to get too pissed early, and i don't even know if i particularly like alcohol. added to the fact i don't know his mates which will make it very awkward, i just don't know anything about the dynamics of drinking lol. basically i don't want to look a ******, or get pissed too early or do something silly. as i've never been out drinking properly before, this might sound silly but how would I get home safely if I was pissed? how would I not lose my phone or something crazy? what if i go should i drink and what should I do?

i'm like completely inexperienced, i need like a sex ed talk, but for alcohol lol. i judt don't know.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you if you want to drink. It's not compulsory, although it can make clubs a bit more entertaining it. If you do decide to go ahead, then pace yourself. Alternate between alcoholic drinks and non-alcoholic. Drink water throughout the night. And eat something before you go out. This way, the alcohol won't just rush into your system and will slowly affect you. You won't really lose stuff unless you get really drunk, but if you follow the steps above, hopefully you won't get that drunk. You could get home via a cab or something. Put some taxi numbers in your phone incase there aren't any waiting outside the club (although there usually are).
    Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    You're better off climbing slowly down the steps into the shallow end, with the babies in armbands and the pensioners, than doing a bomb straight into the deep end.

ReputationRep:
    drink your own weight in alcohol
    we've all been in your position, you need to build up a tolerance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Win)
    drink your own weight in alcohol
    we've all been in your position, you need to build up a tolerance
    do not do this ^ :P
    Try drinking a bit more than usual, to get a feel for it - if its REALLY not your cup of vodka, don't worry - plenty of people are the same, and anyone who doesnt accept that is ignorant

ReputationRep:
    I went out with a mate and her friends the other night, barely knew the others and anyother times i go really quite and appear really rude. A couple glasses of wine and i am able to chat to the and have a good time.
    I say go but only have one drink (and a mild one) try and enjoy yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deazle)
    do not do this ^ :P
    Try drinking a bit more than usual, to get a feel for it - if its REALLY not your cup of vodka, don't worry - plenty of people are the same, and anyone who doesnt accept that is ignorant
    whyever not? lol
    i did it the first time i drank, and ive turned out fine

ReputationRep:
    heh, if you say so :P

ReputationRep:
    Just say that you havn't got properly drunk before, its likely they will want you to have a good time getting drunk rather than take the piss out of you for it. Fact of the matter is, until you ahve been in that situation of being drunk - you won't know how to deal with it. First time is always a little embarrasing, but the strange thing with alcohol is that it almost WANTS you to get home. No matter how drunk i have been, i've always managed to get home somehow.
    The more times you drink, the better control you gain over yourself. As its your first time, you just need to pace yourself -- oh and DONT MIX YOUR DRINKS!!

ReputationRep:
    drink until you start bopping your head to the music, then you're done.

ReputationRep:
    whyever not? lol
    i did it the first time i drank, and ive turned out fine
    i beg to differ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    i beg to differ
    you don't know me man
    you don't know what i've been through
    you don't know the things i've seen
    you just don't know!!!

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    you don't know me man
    you don't know what i've been through
    you don't know the things i've seen
    you just don't know!!!

:rolleyes:
    hello toff

:wavey:

ReputationRep:
    well son, depends how you are when your drunk but basically sip your drinks take it steady dnt always look at other peoples drinks just take it easy. Stick 2 beer dnt go crazy wiv spirits and dnt mix your drinks unless you want 2 . a nice drink is southern comfort goes dwn well n its prity kool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    hello toff

:wavey:
    you've lost me now...

but hello all the same.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you should.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has to start somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    This is why my parents let me have the odd glass of wine/beer/cider for as long as I can remember when I was younger.

Anyhoo, you don't HAVE to drink alcohol, and if you do, you don't HAVE to drink lots of it. Maybe just a couple of bottles of beer during the evening? Spread them out, have a glass of coke in between. That way you won't have to worry so much about the state you'll be in, whilst still joining in.

i don't know any of his mates either. there will be a biggish group of them and they all know each other so i'm like the odd one out. i have often been introduced to friends of a friend, and it is very very awkward. kike if they were talking about a certain incident at school or something i will just sit there like a plum and grin. i don't think i'll go, it's probably best to head to the pub with a mate and try out stuff.

would a voda + coke / jd + coke ... get me pissed? liek if i went inbetween college i woulnd't want to get pissed lol

ReputationRep:
    stop worrying and just go with the flow. and no one jd and coke wont get you pissed. i deffos think you owrry to much about what people think of you! if the others are all drunk they probably wont realise whether you have correct "drinking etiquette" or not

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.