Who's actually travelling in the Uni student travel window?

Watch
Poll: Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?
Yes (217)
26.66%
No - I have already returned home (109)
13.39%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (166)
20.39%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (71)
8.72%
No - I live at home during term anyway (251)
30.84%
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A few weeks ago the government announced uni students would be given a window to travel home for Christmas, from the 3rd to the 9th of December.

We've seen a fair few questions about this on TSR, so we thought we ask you guys - are you intending on using the travel window? Or do you have other plans?

If you're not sure what the deal is with travelling home, this site explains it all.

If you are using the travel window, is there anything you're worried about?

If you're not, why is that?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If all goes to plan, i.e. I test negative for the second time 3 days apart from my first Covid-19 test, I'm yeeting back home to London within the travel window via the train which makes me feel a bit anxious - it's more to do with the crowds at the train station really.
DrSum98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. bc there's no way I'm going home for a month or more lol. I'm going home for one week only, later in December.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, but I booked it before the travel window was a thing, thinking if I left before term ended then the trains would be quieter :facepalm: Happened not to have anything in person for the end of the last week anyway so thought I'd go home before everyone else...then the government announced we all should go then :lol:
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll travel abroad for a month in January. Other than that staying at term-time address over Christmas.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DrSum98)
No. bc there's no way I'm going home for a month or more lol. I'm going home for one week only, later in December.
Same with me
Blackstarr
Report 1 month ago
What happens if you travel outside that window?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blackstarr)
What happens if you travel outside that window?
absolutely nothing but if you're relying on the on campus testing then the results wont be current when you travel.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes daughter will be travelling in the window. Shes had covid, so cant take a lateral flow antigen test within 90 days of having it.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no - have nothing to do at home so will be leaving at the end of term. only a week extra
DoritoEvie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I made the decision to not travel. It'll be a year since I've last seen my parents as I also decided against flying in April and in the summer, but the risk and hassle of travelling is just not worth it at this time. I'd rather keep my family and myself safe and see them next year (hopefully)
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah. I'm getting a test and need to go home for a few days next week, but I'm not moving back for Christmas until the 18th. Like above, I have no desire to spend an extended period of time at home.
barror1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Since I live permanently at an address near my uni and want to stay there as long as possible I will be travelling during the Christmas bubble period to meet with my family. This is my home which makes the travel window a little bit different for me!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:rofl: and now the government are saying classroom based courses should be remote and students should stay at home until February:rofl:

They genuinely have no idea
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes. But not because of testing or an officially sanctioned travel window, but a) because all of the arts campus resources are closing from the 9th and b) because of lockdown and other Covid restrictions I haven't seen my partner for a month.
Hopefully as a studio and workshop based course we won't be affected by the staged return arrangements, but time will tell.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes - I'm either travelling on the 7th ir the 8th -most my flatmates are going home on the 4th though. I think the majority are having someone drive them back home.
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah i’m travelling home early next week i’ve got my
lateral flow tests tomorrow and tuesday and then i’m off. as much as i’m excited to go home, i’m fairly worried about being stuck at home until the end of january/beginning of february as my course isn’t a practical course:eek:
Fresher18
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I was meant to be seeing a show in London tonight but it got rescheduled to the 13th so won't be travelling home until at least the 19th as its the earliest my parents can pick me up due to work, got my two covid tests booked at the uni next week though so at least Ill have some idea.
hnrc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's different for me bc i have a mortgage and so I live at my own home lol. but i'm visiting family over christmas, just making sure I isolate 10 days before/after. I'll be out of isolation ready for university again (if it's in-person, they haven't decided whether it'll still be online-only yet). I don't envy students having to get public transport. Trains were always seemed a bit germy even before the pandemic :P
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have in-person contact hours until 17th December.
It is therefore not feasible for me to have travelled home by the 9th.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
12.17%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (28)
24.35%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (49)
42.61%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
17.39%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.48%

Watched Threads