Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it just me who's finding it difficult to make friends online this uni year?

First-term is almost over and I'm finding myself with 0 new friends..
I have anxiety but I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone to talk and message people but I just find myself being ignored. I privately message people who I think are my friends but they ignore me. I know its not the case of they haven't seen my message because they're messaging the class' group chat constantly on the same social media.

I'm feeling like there's no point even trying anymore and it's making my anxiety even worse
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I have anxiety but I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone to talk and message people but I just find myself being ignored. I privately message people who I think are my friends but they ignore me. I know its not the case of they haven't seen my message because they're messaging the class' group chat constantly on the same social media.

I'm feeling like there's no point even trying anymore and it's making my anxiety even worse
Sorry to hear about this! I'm in my second year at uni and I know a lot of first years are struggling regardless of what institution they're at. Have you tried joining involved with uni societies and/or sports clubs - hopefully, that would've helped a bit in terms of making friends. I would definitely reach out to the support services at your uni if you haven't already regarding your anxiety, and probably speak to your academic supervisor to let them know how you're finding things - they should be able to help a bit with everything that's going on. Also, do keep in touch with your friends and family back home. Hopefully, things will improve next term, i.e. more in-person interactions if Covid restrictions allow that to happen.

Most importantly, take care of yourself and remember, you're definitely not alone in feeling quite lonely and isolated. Things will get better eventually.
BabyStitch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel the same way but would definitely recommend joining a society!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Sorry to hear about this! I'm in my second year at uni and I know a lot of first years are struggling regardless of what institution they're at. Have you tried joining involved with uni societies and/or sports clubs - hopefully, that would've helped a bit in terms of making friends. I would definitely reach out to the support services at your uni if you haven't already regarding your anxiety, and probably speak to your academic supervisor to let them know how you're finding things - they should be able to help a bit with everything that's going on. Also, do keep in touch with your friends and family back home. Hopefully, things will improve next term, i.e. more in-person interactions if Covid restrictions allow that to happen.

Most importantly, take care of yourself and remember, you're definitely not alone in feeling quite lonely and isolated. Things will get better eventually.
My uni's societies are literally barren. I joined 2 at the start of the year and haven't heard anything. Not even an invite to a group chat. My uni is also online for the entire year so no chance of meeting anyone in person for classes

And thank you
Musicn3rd9
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I’m in the same position. If you’re already nervous about talking to new people, it never helps when they ignore you
BabyStitch
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sometimes you have to be persistent with people - i.e keep trying to message them or open them up. Keep trying to put yourself out their - don’t be afraid to message other students. It’s hard especially when online.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BabyStitch)
Sometimes you have to be persistent with people - i.e keep trying to message them or open them up. Keep trying to put yourself out their - don’t be afraid to message other students. It’s hard especially when online.
How much persistence is too much though before it's a one-sided relationship? It's really difficult to judge because even double messaging these people after they don't reply the first time gives me so much anxiety
BabyStitch
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How much persistence is too much though before it's a one-sided relationship? It's really difficult to judge because even double messaging these people after they don't reply the first time gives me so much anxiety
The problem being it's online so you don't build as close a relationship as "in-person". I recommend you double text anyone and assume they missed your message. If they still fail to reply I would move on. I know it's difficult!
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey!

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you should be proud of yourself for putting in the effort with people, it's a shame some people haven't returned that same effort with you. Some people meet their friends for life at uni, and others don't. That's perfectly normal and okay I know I preferred focusing on my studies, than going out and meeting new people. You might meet some great people later on, I know people who didn't meet their friends for life until their very last year! Things just take time

Have you thought about joining a club or society? Becoming a student ambassador? Volunteering? Finding part-time work on campus? All great ways of meeting new people!

I wish you all the best,

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (122)
28.91%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.91%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.08%

Watched Threads