The Student Room Group

torn between what course i should do

im torn between doing criminology and law or just a criminology degree. Ive always wanted to learn law and have done some reading up on it and kinda regret not taking it at A level so it would be a shame for me to not give it a go. I know that I will definitely enjoy criminology because I do it in sociology, but I'm concerned because if I end up doing the combined degree and end up hating law, then I can't change and will have to drop out.:/.

I have ambitions to join the police force, but if i want to become a lawyer and change my career path then i will have the option to do so if i have the LLB.

Any tips?
Original post by 123GRace321
im torn between doing criminology and law or just a criminology degree. Ive always wanted to learn law and have done some reading up on it and kinda regret not taking it at A level so it would be a shame for me to not give it a go. I know that I will definitely enjoy criminology because I do it in sociology, but I'm concerned because if I end up doing the combined degree and end up hating law, then I can't change and will have to drop out.:/.

I have ambitions to join the police force, but if i want to become a lawyer and change my career path then i will have the option to do so if i have the LLB.

Any tips?

Hi!

I have friends who study law with criminology. One of them loves it, but the other dropped the criminology part in her second year as she didn't enjoy it and didn't have the time to be studying it. The university allowed her to do this, so maybe other unis will too, but you would have to double-check. So, it might be possible you could drop law in your second year.
To become a lawyer, however, you do need your LPQ and most likely have to study law to do so.
I would choose to do criminology with law if your able to drop law in your second year, as you'll probably know what career path you're most likely to take further down the line and your university and course leaders will help you realise this. Please though check with the uni you are applying to.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 2
the criminology and law degree isn’t an llb; do you mean qualified law degree? i think you better double check that beforehand if it’s important to you.

what do you mean you always wanted to learn law? you mean you want to know what the law is, or you want to know what it’s like to study academic law? just asking because often there is a misconception of what law students actually do in practise and what they actually know about law.

you could start by going to the law study help forum on here and see if those problem/essay questions that users post would interest you if you haven’t already.

what law modules are offered with the combined degree? are those the subjects of law that you want to study or are they just ‘law’ modules? could you find the reading list for those subjects and then find the textbooks in google scholar, open them up and see if reading that stuff interests you? alternatively you could just find another general textbook in that area in google scholar cuz they all kinda have the same stuff in them. also find law revision guides as they provide typical exam/essay questions and answers you as a student will face in a law module. if you let us know what law modules as well someone on here might be able to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest