hxylxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I took part in a video interview a couple of days ago. it was a pre-recorded interview that required me to answer a few questions.

However, i felt that my interview wasn't great. i had just received bad news about a family member passing away that morning, but I had to do the video interview because the deadline was on the following day.

I was able to answer the questions, and had prepared before hand. But it feels like my energy that i wanted to portray and my eagerness to work was clouded by my family news. I am scared that I've missed an opportunity to bag my dream graduate job.

The last thing i want to do is make excuses, but I'm thinking of emailing them to explain my situation. The next stage of the application process is a face to face interview, which i believe i will be able to do much better in.
I believe it was just the timing of the whole situation that threw me off, and i don't want to miss out on the shortlisting without a fight!
I have a genuine interest in the company, and have even completed a short internship with them last year.

I have not received any feedback from my pre-recorded interview, and was thinking of emailing them before they let me know.

Do you think this is a good idea? and if so, how would you suggest i structure my email, to not sound too much of an excuse.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah but be professional
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hxylxy)
I took part in a video interview a couple of days ago. it was a pre-recorded interview that required me to answer a few questions.
Good job making it that far into the process. Many people will fail the initial tests and/or screenings.

However, i felt that my interview wasn't great. i had just received bad news about a family member passing away that morning, but I had to do the video interview because the deadline was on the following day.

I was able to answer the questions, and had prepared before hand. But it feels like my energy that i wanted to portray and my eagerness to work was clouded by my family news. I am scared that I've missed an opportunity to bag my dream graduate job.
Wait to hear back first, you never know.

The last thing i want to do is make excuses, but I'm thinking of emailing them to explain my situation. The next stage of the application process is a face to face interview, which i believe i will be able to do much better in.
I believe it was just the timing of the whole situation that threw me off, and i don't want to miss out on the shortlisting without a fight!
I have a genuine interest in the company, and have even completed a short internship with them last year.

I have not received any feedback from my pre-recorded interview, and was thinking of emailing them before they let me know.

Do you think this is a good idea? and if so, how would you suggest i structure my email, to not sound too much of an excuse.
I don't really know, it depends on the company. It may be worthwhile, but at the same time, they usually ask you to explain any issues before you do the test as well. I think given the circumstances they would understand however so it might be worth a try. But bare in mind, you may well have passed anyway as well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (199)
57.68%
I don't have everything I need (146)
42.32%

Watched Threads