YEAR 13S: if uni 2021 was completely online, would you take a gap year?

Watch
boeuf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
online freshers... gross.
uni is a whole experience and i don't want to be missing it and becoming depressed staying alone to start a new course. On the other hand, reapplying is such a hassle and i may not get the same places as this year...
Would you take a gap year or would you just go with it?
tipexmaster25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm gonna cross that bridge when we come to it (praying that the vaccine will make things a bit more normal by September/ October next year), but maybe. I'm applying for medicine which is a 5 year course so I'll be at uni for a long time anyway, 1 year doesn't make so much difference. But I agree that your first year is probably one of the most exciting in terms of meeting new people, so it depends how strong the restrictions would be. And if I could get a job.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn’t take a gap year, there’s no guarantee that I would get a place next year, and I’m going to university to learn, not just for the social experience??
Jorgi1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by boeuf)
uni is a whole experience and i don't want to be missing it and becoming depressed staying alone to start a new course. On the other hand, reapplying is such a hassle and i may not get the same places as this year...
If you have a place sometimes you don't have to reapply, you can just defer your entry.
Talk to the University admissions department they may offer this
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by boeuf)
Hello boeuf ,

Hope you are doing well!!

I took a gap year after finishing Year 13 and I found it extremely beneficial for me personally. Spending the first half of my gap year working and gaining skills that I felt would be beneficial in the future. Then doing some travelling during the second half, which can be seen as a different type of learning. So personally if you want to take a year out for personal growth, I personally do not think that there is any disadvantage to taking a gap year, just try to make the most of it if you do take one.

Of course back then I had more freedom with what I did during the gap year, because there were no restrictions due to COVID. At the end of the day it is for you to decide, you know what will be best for you. Have a think about it and also think about what you would then do during the gap year, to make the most of it, if you do decide to take one. Remember you could always apply for next year and then if you decide not to attend, you could then try to defer. But it is all up to you.

I hope I was able to be of some help! If you have any questions or would like me to elaborate further on anything I have mentioned, please do feel free to ask! I would be more than happy to help!

All the best,

Shaf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads