lovecore
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
  • Had test booked for 2nd December
  • Had an email saying it was moved to MARCH instead because of lockdown #2, 1 month before theory expires, super stressed
  • got email today saying actually tests are fine to go ahead for the 2nd - with ONE DAY'S NOTICE, if you manually rebook
  • logged in to see if there was a gap (30 minutes after they sent the email) and there were none available, all a ruse

Literally hate the DVLA, government, powers that be etc etc. Anyone else in this situation? Anyone know how I could possibly move my test back to Jan/Feb if they thought it was possible to change it to tomorrow?
lewis1802
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lovecore)
  • Had an email saying it was moved to MARCH instead because of lockdown #2, 1 month before theory expires, super stressed
  • got email today saying actually tests are fine to go ahead for the 2nd - with ONE DAY'S NOTICE, if you manually rebook
  • logged in to see if there was a gap (30 minutes after they sent the email) and there were none available, all a ruse

Literally hate the DVLA, government, powers that be etc etc. Anyone else in this situation? Anyone know how I could possibly move my test back to Jan/Feb if they thought it was possible to change it to tomorrow?
I agree, the DVLA/DVSA is a joke and the stuff they have done (nothing) to help learners isn non existent.

im not in the same position as you now as I passed my test in October but I was in a similar position in lockdown 1. my test was originally for January and was cancelled, then for march 25th (2 days after lockdown started **** sake) and then struggled rebooking a test when they reopened them in august/September when there was crashes on the booking website and hundreds of thousands in a queue but finally got one booked and passed in late October.

the DVLA give all learners who's tests were cancelled due to lockdown 2.0 an email at pretty much the same time, but most learners want to rebook their test for the earliest opportunity, so its likely the reason that DVLA sent a load of emails to everyones test who was cancelled and then when they have seen the email, they immediately went to book on for the earliest date available. in my local test centre they have about 5k tests in a normal year so if about 500 people had their test cancelled due to lockdown 2,0, most of them would have probably had an email and booked it for 2nd or similar date before you got the email or got the chance to book one for 2nd or similar date, its a shame and really pissed me off but its DVLA so I didn't expect much better and they never help out even over the phone

there is a way you can "move it back" but ti only depends on luck.
if you have still got the test they booked you for in march scheduled, keep it for that date for now. there is a decent app I used to use called "Driving Test Genie". you basically put in your name, driving licence number, date and time of test and when a test is cancelled on the gov website, DTG get a system notification which then notifies you if the cancelled test of the other person is before yours. If it is, u will get a message straight away from the system (tho you have to pay a one time payment of £17 if you want to be notified when a test is cancelled) and you basically reply with yes/no if you wanna accept the test or not. loads of people likely use the app and have that feature so if you do get a message, quickly check the date and time of the test (it will always be at an earlier date and/or time than your current one) and reply with yes/no. this secures your place for an earlier test and you will get an email from the govt about your new test date.
that's the only way I can think of potentially getting an earlier test. you might also be able to ring up the DVLA but they not much help and will 99% sure say no or they can't do it.

hopefully u get sorted, good luck
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lewis1802)
I agree, the DVLA/DVSA is a joke and the stuff they have done (nothing) to help learners isn non existent.

im not in the same position as you now as I passed my test in October but I was in a similar position in lockdown 1. my test was originally for January and was cancelled, then for march 25th (2 days after lockdown started **** sake) and then struggled rebooking a test when they reopened them in august/September when there was crashes on the booking website and hundreds of thousands in a queue but finally got one booked and passed in late October.

the DVLA give all learners who's tests were cancelled due to lockdown 2.0 an email at pretty much the same time, but most learners want to rebook their test for the earliest opportunity, so its likely the reason that DVLA sent a load of emails to everyones test who was cancelled and then when they have seen the email, they immediately went to book on for the earliest date available. in my local test centre they have about 5k tests in a normal year so if about 500 people had their test cancelled due to lockdown 2,0, most of them would have probably had an email and booked it for 2nd or similar date before you got the email or got the chance to book one for 2nd or similar date, its a shame and really pissed me off but its DVLA so I didn't expect much better and they never help out even over the phone

there is a way you can "move it back" but ti only depends on luck.
if you have still got the test they booked you for in march scheduled, keep it for that date for now. there is a decent app I used to use called "Driving Test Genie". you basically put in your name, driving licence number, date and time of test and when a test is cancelled on the gov website, DTG get a system notification which then notifies you if the cancelled test of the other person is before yours. If it is, u will get a message straight away from the system (tho you have to pay a one time payment of £17 if you want to be notified when a test is cancelled) and you basically reply with yes/no if you wanna accept the test or not. loads of people likely use the app and have that feature so if you do get a message, quickly check the date and time of the test (it will always be at an earlier date and/or time than your current one) and reply with yes/no. this secures your place for an earlier test and you will get an email from the govt about your new test date.
that's the only way I can think of potentially getting an earlier test. you might also be able to ring up the DVLA but they not much help and will 99% sure say no or they can't do it.

hopefully u get sorted, good luck
The DVSA are who you mean not the DVLA, and don’t blame us blame the politicians. We only found out today that we would be going back on Wednesday, the minister for transport only made his mind up today. We’re all just as angry/confused as you are.

As per the OP, sounds like somebody sniped you out of chance and booked your test :/

And as per the ‘not helping learners’, like I said, everything we do is dictated by the minister for transport. Nobody in the DVSA has any control over this. All DVSA staff have been told they may only take 3 days leave over Christmas to reduce the waiting times, and no more leave until March 31st, which comes at a great personal sacrifice to those like myself with loved ones that we haven’t been able to see in months. Just remember, we are human too. If you have any grievances look at your politicians, the ones making the decisions, not the Civil Servants. We are just here to serve you guys, that’s all we wanna do.
Last edited by TheDE; 1 month ago
lovecore
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by TheDE)
The DVSA are who you mean not the DVLA, and don’t blame us blame the politicians. We only found out today that we would be going back on Wednesday, the minister for transport only made his mind up today. We’re all just as angry/confused as you are.

As per the OP, sounds like somebody sniped you out of chance and booked your test :/

And as per the ‘not helping learners’, like I said, everything we do is dictated by the minister for transport. Nobody in the DVSA has any control over this. All DVSA staff have been told they may only take 3 days leave over Christmas to reduce the waiting times, and no more leave until March 31st, which comes at a great personal sacrifice to those like myself with loved ones that we haven’t been able to see in months. Just remember, we are human too. If you have any grievances look at your politicians, the ones making the decisions, not the Civil Servants. We are just here to serve you guys, that’s all we wanna do.
Sorry for angry post :/ was just mad about the lack of government transparency, like if they'd been clearer about how lockdown would happen I'd be taking my test right now!
I at least managed to get a slightly earlier date at the end of February, so at least something good happened in the end.
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lovecore)

If you're a motorist you'd know the difference between the DVLA and the DVSA. It isn't the DVLA who deal with driving tests.

It is also not the fault of your average civil servant, they have a job to do. Politicians set the parameters, civil servants work within them.

You got an email and didn't get a chance to log in until 30 minutes after you got it. You're not the only candidate waiting for a test, how many others do you think would have seen that email sooner and had the chance to act on it in that space of time. Driving Test Centres are hardly big places. It's a dinky building with a couple of examiners. In some DTC's due to COVID they're only doing one test an hour on some days. Tests go quick...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (32)
16.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (60)
30.15%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (76)
38.19%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
13.07%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise