ShadowKing132
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If 3 ions are absorbed into the cell by active transport (Ion A, Ion B and Ion C).

Why for example, may Ion A be absorbed at a faster rate than Ion B?
Lucyyy17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ShadowKing132)
If 3 ions are absorbed into the cell by active transport (Ion A, Ion B and Ion C).

Why for example, may Ion A be absorbed at a faster rate than Ion B?
Variation in concentration gradients and availability of transport proteins specific to ion A/B eg A absorbed faster so probably more transport proteins readily available that are specific for transporting A or the opposite, there are less transport proteins available to transport ion B so slower absorption.
Hope that helps
ShadowKing132
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucyyy17)
Variation in concentration gradients and availability of transport proteins specific to ion A/B eg A absorbed faster so probably more transport proteins readily available that are specific for transporting A or the opposite, there are less transport proteins available to transport ion B so slower absorption.
Hope that helps
Thanks sm could u help with another question?
Lucyyy17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks sm could u help with another question?
Yeah sure
ShadowKing132
Rep:
?
Yeah sure
https://imgur.com/98RU18q

Here is a diagram and graph of the experiment in the link.

a) During the experiment, the marine worm increased the volume of urine excreted. Describe how this may have influenced the mass changes of the marine worm [1].

b) The marine worm can also reduce the salt content in its body to lower the water potential so it is closer to the external solution. How does this influence mass change in the marine worm?

Thankssss
Lucyyy17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

a) During the experiment, the marine worm increased the volume of urine excreted. Describe how this may have influenced the mass changes of the marine worm [1].

b) The marine worm can also reduce the salt content in its body to lower the water potential so it is closer to the external solution. How does this influence mass change in the marine worm?

Thankssss
A. So as the worm excreted more urine this will lead to a decrease in mass

b. Reducing the salt content so the concentration is closer to the solution will lead to less of a concentration gradient so less water moves in/ out the worm via osmosis, it keeps the mass more constant.
ShadowKing132
Rep:
?
A. So as the worm excreted more urine this will lead to a decrease in mass

b. Reducing the salt content so the concentration is closer to the solution will lead to less of a concentration gradient so less water moves in/ out the worm via osmosis, it keeps the mass more constant.
I understand this but how do you know that the urine being excreted is the decline of the graph?

Perhaps, reducing the salt content is that part of the graph?
Lucyyy17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thankssss
I understand this but how do you know that the urine being excreted is the decline of the graph?

Perhaps, reducing the salt content is that part of the graph?
The only effect that excreting urine could have would be a decrease in mass so that would definitely be the part of the decrease. I would think that reducing the salt content would be responsible for the flat part of the graph because this is where the concentrations are similar so the movement of water will be reduced, keeping the mass of the work constant.
Hope that makes sense?
ShadowKing132
Rep:
?
The only effect that excreting urine could have would be a decrease in mass so that would definitely be the part of the decrease. I would think that reducing the salt content would be responsible for the flat part of the graph because this is where the concentrations are similar so the movement of water will be reduced, keeping the mass of the work constant.
Hope that makes sense?
Yeah thanks a lot! I didn't know which section of the graph represented which but you have helped so thanks a lot!
Lucyyy17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah thanks a lot! I didn't know which section of the graph represented which but you have helped so thanks a lot!
You’re welcome 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads