The Student Room Group

References - Please help!

Ok, I am trying to reference the following article in a bibliography for one of my courseworks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/wtwtgod/3475483.stm

However, I have no idea how to! The format I'm supposed to be using is as follows:

For books:
Macquarrie, J. (1972) Existentialism: An Introduction, Guide and Assessment, Penguin Books Ltd.

For articles:
Levin, D.T. (2000) “Race as a Visual Feature: Using Visual Search and Perceptual Discrimination Tasks to Understand Face Categories and the Cross-Race Recognition Deficit” Journal of Experimental Psychology Vol. 129, No.4, 559 – 574.

Can anyone put the above link (Why Britain doesn't go to church, by J.A.Beckford) into anything both correct and remotely resembling that formula? Please?

Rep for the best! :biggrin:

ZarathustraX
Reply 1
Just realised I didn't post this where I meant to - can I get it moved to "Academic Discussions" ?!

Sorry :redface:

ZarathustraX
Reply 2
I would probably go for something like the following if you're trying to keep them close to those formats.

Beckford, J.A. (2004) "Why Britain doesn't go to church". Available from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/wtwtgod/3475483.stm (Accessed 1st January 2005)

And just checking, are you sure you want the whole reference in bold? I usually do just the names in bold, but maybe I've been doing it wrong for years without noticing!
Reply 3
Beckford, J. A. (2004) "Why Britain Doesn't Go to Church." BBC News, 17 February 2004, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programm...god/3475483.stm

This is really a guess, but maybe treat BBC News as a journal, which it kind of is, and the article and author as normally for a journal. I never used to reference a specific page though, just

Grameen Bank Website. www.grameenfoundation.org. Nov 2001.

Which my teacher suggested. Thing is, there is no 'definitive' way to reference, and if you look in different journals you'll get different formats
Reply 4
Thanks guys!

Qualcuno: No, I never do them all (or any part of them!) in bold - just the post looked really messy, so I edited them into bold to make them stand out, lol.

I was thinking the Feb17th thing might be the key :wink:

Anyone else got any suggestions? I'm thinking I'll end up mashing the best ideas together! Gah, this damn coursework has been so much trouble :mad:

ZarathustraX (Thanks again :tsr: )
Reply 5
surely you won't be marked on reference style tho?
Reply 6
I'm not sure, but I think you might. I know in my psychology coursework last year there were 1or2 marks available for the reference section, and you lost them if you made the tiniest mistake!
I got them in the end (didn't have to ref. any ridiculous internet articles!), but a mate lost them because she put someone whose name starts with "Ge" before someone whose name starts with "Ga"!!
:eek:

Besides, sociology was my worst UMS from AS (apart from Biology, which I've dropped anyway), so I'm trying to claw together all the marks I can before I risk losing it in the exams! lol.

ZarathustraX
Reply 7
yikes, marked for references. there should be a limit to examiners' pedanticness. oh well
Reply 8
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~expos/sources/
For the note, MLA, APA, CBA, ayp and cd systems.
Reply 9
Thankyou everyone - rep coming as and when tsr lets me give it out.

I'm now having yet another problem with references (trust me, I DO try to look all this stuff up myself and agonise over it for hours before I post here!) - I need to cite the following:

Walliss, J. (2002) “The Secularisation Debate” Sociology Review Vol. _ No. _ (September 2002), Philip Allan Publishers.

But can't find the Volume or journal number for Sept'02! Have tried every reference to Sociology Review that comes up on google, plus PhilipAllan publishers :frown:
(My copy of the article is only an old photocopy and I don't have the original source).

This one really is a long shot, but if anyone has old Sociology Reviews or knows how I can find this out, please help :-)

ZarathustraX
Reply 10
if i'm not wrong, there's one volume for each academic year, so since this year (2004/5) is volume 14, it should be volume 12 for 2002/3. the september issue is the first of the academic year, so must be issue 1
Reply 11
phishfood
if i'm not wrong, there's one volume for each academic year, so since this year (2004/5) is volume 14, it should be volume 12 for 2002/3. the september issue is the first of the academic year, so must be issue 1

Omg :eek: I want to have your babies.
Reply 12
Zarathustra
Omg :eek: I want to have your babies.

lol go ahead

hope your coursework'll be done soon
Reply 13
do you really think they are going to care if you got the wrong year? or the wrong page number?

I mean for god sake, stop worrying over something the examiners will just browse over.
Reply 14
corey
do you really think they are going to care if you got the wrong year? or the wrong page number?

I mean for god sake, stop worrying over something the examiners will just browse over.

I am not mentioning page numbers in the bibliography.
I do not know whether they'll care or not, however: a) it's better to be safe than sorry, and b) I CARE!!! There's no point getting something wrong if you can manage to get it right.
Oh and my teach'll notice anyway (not that she'd mind particularly, I think).

ZarathustraX

Latest