Can someone help with a geography A level question?

Watch
fakeaffection
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have an exam question that I need to answer, but I'm not really sure how to answer it. It is
"Assess the potential causes and impacts of changes to the water balance within a tropical rainforest that you have studied"
Its a 20 mark question and I am doing AQA so we learnt about the Amazon rainforest.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
This is a plan

Use your notes as fodder for your essay
Research carefully
Pay attention to the number of marks
Find out about the Amazon rainforest online (if you use Wikipedia then make sure to quote instead).
izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,

The answer from @tinygirl96 is highly unhelpful. I do OCR Geography A-Level (2nd Year) but I think they are similar. I would firstly start off with an introduction about how humans are affecting the water imbalance in the Amazon - for example deforestation and agriculture, they are the two main ones I would think the question is referring to. Then I would do maybe 3 or 4 main paragraphs talking about human affects on water imbalance in the Amazon, with some facts and figures - for example transpiration and evapotranspiration rates would be reduced if trees were removed from the rainforest, hence this would increase the surface storage of water - so higher surface run off rates and increase risk of flooding. Also, root uptake would be reduced; similar consequences. Agriculture uses crop irrigation techniques, I am pretty sure they divert some of the Amazon River, which will decrease the river discharge and fluvial storage of water. Agriculture usually initially begins with the removal of trees - so Link back to what has previously been said. Then you could also say about since there will be less water in the atmosphere, there will be more intense sunlight, possibly killing some of the plants - which is a positive feedback loop. Then finish with a conclusion - weighing up if deforestation or farming has the most impact on the water cycle.

I have attached a similar essay that I have done, I know it isn't exactly the same but it will give some ideas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads