Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im 16 and 5 foot 5
I used to be 92 kj but in the past 2-3 months i lost 10kj
I wake up at 5.30 take my dog on a walk
Eat weetabix in the morning
When i come home I normally eat a small meal like , then i do a work out for 1 hour later in the day , and have a fruit shake or something .

My parents say i should be eating more food and that its a unhealthy lifestyle , are they right?
EstelleA
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They’re right, you should be having larger and more frequent meals and if that doesn’t work have some snacks. If you keep undereating you WILL gain the weight back and maybe even more than when you started, so you should slowly increase your intake to a normal calorie deficit, good luck
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot wrong with this
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll tag him for you, but there is a lot wrong with it.
Nutritionist.
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Three meals a day and an active lifestyle whilst paying attention to the quality of food too.

So an example

Some fruit and cereal for breakfast

A chicken wrap with some fruit for lunch

And a chilli con carne for dinner.

You can have protein shakes and smoothies in between depending on your fitness goals I guess, but it's about building a sustainable lifestyle, finding something that works for you.
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zKlown)
Three meals a day and an active lifestyle whilst paying attention to the quality of food too.

So an example

Some fruit and cereal for breakfast

A chicken wrap with some fruit for lunch

And a chilli con carne for dinner.

You can have protein shakes and smoothies in between depending on your fitness goals I guess, but it's about building a sustainable lifestyle, finding something that works for you.
Why "three meals a day" lol?
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gtty123)
Why "three meals a day" lol?
No reason, just that's the societal norm, so I was trying to make it as simple as possible for people who maybe work.

Have as many meals as you want, maybe I should said eat a set amount of calories/food a day.
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zKlown)
No reason, just that's the societal norm, so I was trying to make it as simple as possible for people who maybe work.

Have as many meals as you want, maybe I should said eat a set amount of calories/food a day.
Fair enough.

This. I get that you want to promote "societal norm", however we need OP to realise that they can have a normal balance as long as they're in their calorific range for the day.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by guuciludc3)
Im 16 and 5 foot 5
I used to be 92 kj but in the past 2-3 months i lost 10kj
I wake up at 5.30 take my dog on a walk
Eat weetabix in the morning
When i come home I normally eat a small meal like , then i do a work out for 1 hour later in the day , and have a fruit shake or something .

My parents say i should be eating more food and that its a unhealthy lifestyle , are they right?
10kg over 10 weeks is not a ridiculous amount, id say a kilo/week is a pretty standard amount.
Without knowing everything about your diet its hard to say but your having weetebix, a meal & a nutrious shake every day. I think that would be fine but im not a nutritionist or medical professional.

I assume you mean Kg rather then kj. Im not familiar with the kelvin-Joule.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No such thing as starvation mode and there's nothing wrong with carbs.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So your telling me if I eat in a caloric deficit my body will be able to create energy out of thin air and store fat? Also what physiological difference do bad carbs and good carbs have on the body when both get converted to the same thing?
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sigh. You asked for this.

What are you talking about here? You can eat as often and as much as you want. What constitutes 'healthy'? Is Pepsi 'healthy'? Or chips? Or maybe even lettuce? You don't have to eat 'healthy' to lose weight.

What has a carb ever done to you lol? You don't have to avoid carbs completely. Nor do you have to avoid takeaways or what you call "poor [foods]".

Again, what have carbs done to you? They aren't an 'enemy' in weight loss.

Nope. Don't go there. "Exercise" is an element of weight loss, not the "secret". You want to know the "secret"? It's your nutrition. Weight loss (from a percentage of 100) is 90% and exercise accounts for 10%. You could not exercise, as long as you're in a deficit, and lose weight.

Seems a bit excessive. 2 hours almost!?

And what is this? Avoiding the enemy - carbs!?

Oh no! Sugars. What an enemy! You can still have sugar even during a caloric deficit (as long as you don't consume more calories).

If you want a guide, which is helpful, then check out mine - it will explain it in more detail:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post90204364
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Repeating what you said in your first post with more words doesn’t make it correct. “Starvation mode” isn’t a thing and no matter how hard your body, in some apparent cave-man’esque bid for survival, tries it can’t change the laws of thermodynamics. It can’t “hold onto” weight because it feels like it, it’s not a separate sentient entity. It’s governed by physics and chemistry. Your metabolism will drop *slightly* as you lose weight because you have fewer cells that need to respirate and function, and there’s loss body mass to move around all day. It’s not because it’s in starvation mode. Plus, like I said, it drops SLIGHTLY.

It’s also not as black and white as saying there are good and bad carbs. If I’m a marathon runner 6 hours before a race wanting to fill up glycogen stores, rice is a good carb source right now. If I’m a marathon runner with 30 minutes left to run and I’m feeling depleted, sugar is a good carb source right now. There’s also no difference between carbs for the context of weight loss in which you were talking.

Finally, there isn’t a secret to weight loss. It’s a calorie deficit. Exercise didn’t “kick start” your weight loss like it’s something that’s all or nothing. The 5-10 minute workouts you talk about certainly didn’t. Why do you think that when you stopped doing them the weight stayed off? It’s because they were basically insignificant to start with. In 5-10 minutes the most you’re burning is 75-150 calories. The MOST.

With the above I suggest you educate yourself in these prior to further comment.
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
starvation mode in general = body tries to survive using a number of mech e.g water retention

starvation mode in fitness community = huge deficit (750+)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (370)
56.23%
I don't have everything I need (288)
43.77%

Watched Threads