The Student Room Group

Changing A-levels in December?

I have never been so bored or de-motivated in school as I am right now. I genuinely hate all my A-levels, - despite having loved them at GCSE - and have really bad teachers and can't think of any careers I want with them.

Having looked at the work my friends are doing in the sciences and maths I find it much more interesting. I have also started to look at engineering as a degree for the first time and really like it. I got straight 9s at GCSE and have been doing 4-5 hours work for the subjects I've missed (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry) each night for the last month but my school has been adamant I can't change.

I live in London but I can't find any other school that will take me - one said to apply to enter in Year 13, which doesn't make much more sense to me? I could home school for a year but there's no guarantee I would get into the sixth form and I imagine unis would look at it badly.

Any advice would be brilliant.
Original post by green doggo
I have never been so bored or de-motivated in school as I am right now. I genuinely hate all my A-levels, - despite having loved them at GCSE - and have really bad teachers and can't think of any careers I want with them.

Having looked at the work my friends are doing in the sciences and maths I find it much more interesting. I have also started to look at engineering as a degree for the first time and really like it. I got straight 9s at GCSE and have been doing 4-5 hours work for the subjects I've missed (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry) each night for the last month but my school has been adamant I can't change.

I live in London but I can't find any other school that will take me - one said to apply to enter in Year 13, which doesn't make much more sense to me? I could home school for a year but there's no guarantee I would get into the sixth form and I imagine unis would look at it badly.

You could home study and then try to join Year 13 or start Year 12 again next September.

If you have really thought about it then the most sensible transition would be to restart year 12 in 2021.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
If you have really thought about it then the most sensible transition would be to restart year 12 in 2021.

I've thought about it but apparently some unis really don't like it, and I think I'd be really lonely and bored for the next year, especially so soon after lockdown.
Reply 4
Ngl have you thought of doing a BTEC course in engineering or Applied science some colleges across London especially are bound to let you into their college. I'm personally changing my A level subjects in December and having to catch up on 10 weeks of work across the Christmas break!

I've thought about it but apparently some unis really don't like it, and I think I'd be really lonely and bored for the next year, especially so soon after lockdown.

Ok am sure you will work out a good solution so will leave you to it.
Maybe self teaching will be the best, and you can then enter straight into year 13 next year. Only thing is it’s risky, and depends if you are able to self teach yourself to a decent standard. If not, restarting year 12 next year will be your best bet. Also, it’s good that you’ve discovered what you want to do early on, as you luckily have the option to change your academic path at this stage. Good luck!
Universities won't care whether you are home schooled, went to a state comprehensive, or went to Eton. Of course home schooling may not prepare you as well for the exams you need to take in year 13 potentially, and if you do get bad grades then universities will have concerns about that (same as if you got those bad grades going to a school). But the fact you were homeschooled specifically is not something universities will (or even can) discriminate between applicants over.

Incidentally you don't need to have done science A-levels to study a science or engineering subject at university, since the vast majority of such subjects are widely available with a foundation year for those students who did the "wrong" subjects initially then changed their minds about what they wanted to study in uni. Some notable universities for engineering offering such foundation years include Southampton, Birmingham, Leeds, and Manchester; there are many more such examples though, and for most STEM subjects that are non-clinical.

Quick Reply

Latest