Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i measured dog whelk length/aperture ratio on filey brigg, measured pH, salinity and crab number
    need limitations?
    already got that only measured on one day/time/season
    need 3 more!
    help please!!!
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    Well dog whelks are not perfectly round thus it would not always be possibe to measure a dog whelk accurately as they may have a horizontal distance larger measuring one way e.g shaped like an oval. Also, there's the fact that some dog whelks are stuck on the side of 2 rocks meaning you can't actually measure them accurately.

Also, did you use a grid to take random samples of dog whelks over your location to avoid bias? Becase you may subconciously be picking the dog whelks you want to.

ReputationRep:
    What about whether the site is exposed or non-exposed to harsh waves? Were they all taken from parts of rock that were in equally as ferocious environments?

They will have a comparitively large aperture on exposed shores since they need more 'sucking power' for lack of a better term... as far as i remember... I totally didnt make up results for our one of these *rolls eyes*
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TwoTimesTwo)
    What about whether the site is exposed or non-exposed to harsh waves? Were they all taken from parts of rock that were in equally as ferocious environments?

They will have a comparitively large aperture on exposed shores since they need more 'sucking power' for lack of a better term... as far as i remember... I totally didnt make up results for our one of these *rolls eyes*
    Yeah you're totally right. I did limpets but the fundamental principle is the same.

Whelks living in "harsher" conditions i.e. more waves with greater wave action, will have bigger muscles thus they may be wider at the bottom.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.