Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how hard is it to get a job in supermarkets such as asda and tescos because alot of people are making a big fuss about the interviews etc.?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It is very easy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I tried and failed.

ReputationRep:
    well thats 2 different replies indeed lol

ReputationRep:
    Not as easy as it seems. Supermarkets are more inclined to hire people with few qualifications than a student, because they offer a better Return of Investment - less likely to bugger off.

So really, you can easily be over-qualified to do a supermarket job. I got rejected for Tesco and ASDA when I was looking for my first job while at 6th form. Didn't even get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    hmm thats tru

ReputationRep:
    they are ****** on every level. support your local small store or grow/cook/sell your own stuff.

ReputationRep:
    thats very true lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Not as easy as it seems. Supermarkets are more inclined to hire people with few qualifications than a student, because they offer a better Return of Investment - less likely to bugger off.

So really, you can easily be over-qualified to do a supermarket job. I got rejected for Tesco and ASDA when I was looking for my first job while at 6th form. Didn't even get an interview.
    Supermarkets love hiring students. Who else will be content with being contracted few shifts and having plenty of time free for xmas/easter overtime.

ReputationRep:
    ah well looks like its going to stay undecided but the interviews are just stupid for such a basic and simple job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)

No they just like people with experiance.

ReputationRep:
    so easy

ReputationRep:
    good job if you can get it but yes, you can easily be overqualified.

Biggest problem is over-selling yourself I reckon, because as said it would mean you're likely to bugger off within a couple of months or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Depend's how you do at the interview. Some people mess up real bad some people get lucky

ReputationRep:
    for asda you have group interviews lasting over 2 hours to work in a supermarket! ridiculous! anyone would think you were applying to be home secretary!aslong as you get the job done why should it really matter what kind of person you are

(Original post by ugeno)
    for asda you have group interviews lasting over 2 hours to work in a supermarket! ridiculous! anyone would think you were applying to be home secretary!aslong as you get the job done why should it really matter what kind of person you are
    From a customers' perspective you wouldn't want to shop in a store run by chavs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugeno)
    "Its only a supermarket" argument is dumb. These businesses are run on very tight budgets. Why would any manager take on a person who is unsuitable by conducting a poor recruiting process? Also, as the above poster stated, we are dealing with customers on the shopfloor who demand high levels of service, otherwise they'll bugger off elsewhere. Why jepodise customer loyalty by taking on morons when a vigorous recruitment process will weed out most idiots?

ReputationRep:
    Supermarkets are hard to get into. Not because of what they want, but because they will have tons of applications when one or two positions become available. A large proportion of these applicants will be students with no experience, so it ends up being a game of chance.

I got rejected by Sainsburys and Tesco without an interview, then applied to Tesco once more and got a position. Tesco's interviews are really simple, I can't imagine someone failing one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redpin)
    ye i heard tesco interview is simple, but whatever job you try to get an interview at you'll be against alot more people now. and as the saying goes, if your a straight white male christian you got no chance
    What, that's total rubbish. At Tesco we don't give a **** what colour or sexuality you are. If you are good enough you'll get the job.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.