The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

uzisuicide
ROFLMAO!! So true!!

Could it just be that you didn't have the competencies that said companies were looking for?

I'm Straight, White, Male (not Christian though), and I still managed to get a fair few job offers?
redpin
im not specifically targeting tesco's ubiquitous, but this is the way it is /or seems to be these days

No, it's ********. If you are good enough, you will get the job regardless of any of your traits. Don't fall for the self-pity trap by blaming #unfair' recruiting decisions because, as a white male, you have a HUGE advantage over everyone else anyway due to the simple reason that a seizable chunk of the British business population is exactly the same as you.
redpin
ye i heard tesco interview is simple, but whatever job you try to get an interview at you'll be against alot more people now. and as the saying goes, if your a straight white male christian you got no chance

lol i'm a straight, white, christian male and i got a job at tesco :tongue:
Reply 23
thank v much for all the help everybody
Juggy123
Just wondering how hard is it to get a job in supermarkets such as asda and tescos because alot of people are making a big fuss about the interviews etc.?

I wondered the same thing before to be honest. And its not like its rocket science! These places do seem to make a meal of their interview and training bits though. God knows why. If I was applying for a temp xmas job, I would be a tad miffed having to spend 3 days training before actually starting the job.
xxxx
Supermarkets love hiring students. They have less demands on their time than older staff, so are available for more overtime. They are also more likely to work school holidays and weekends than staff with children. This idea of being "overqualified" is rubbish. People who say these things are just looking for an excuse as to why they failed to get in.
Reply 26
asdas the way 4wud dey make such a laff of things even with the interview days, but tesco just power mad managers who have failed in life
Reply 27
Juggy123
asdas the way 4wud dey make such a laff of things even with the interview days, but tesco just power mad managers who have failed in life

do dey m8? dat is ded gd lolololololol
Reply 28
Ive applied for Saisburys about 4 times and I have got an interview for each one but I didnt go to the first 3 because I didnt really like the hours went to the fourth got the job. Easy! I am also a student so do part time and I have had previous experience in a shoe shop for 8 months. As long so you pass both customer service tests you have got the job really. Remember your a customers so its kind of common sense really, what would you expect from a shop etc.
Reply 29
Hello fellow jobseekers

I had my asda group interview last week on friday and I passed, (North London) now I am expecting my third and last interview. I am gonna share my experience with you guys to help with your job hunting.

When you go to selection group interview, you will be in groups of five or six.

Firstly, a quick ice breaker,.,,, this getting to know each team member and presenting to all the teams. You ask your partner's name , why they want to work for ASDA and interesting fact about he/she. Note whatever your reason for wanting to work for ASDA or interesting fact about you should be linked to teamworking.

TIPS HERE IS TO BE CONFIDENT, ENTHUSIASTIC, EYE CONTACT AND LISTEN TO OTHER GROUPS INTENTLY.

Secondly, the presenter will give the teams a random product, it could be anything, my group's product was a mirror.

There are four assessor in the room. They are looking for 4 things. 1) Whether you can work in a team, 2) Are you a good listener?, 3) How well you interact with team members?, 4) Can you come with ideas yourself?.

Regarding the product, each teams will talk about the product that they were given. A team will talk about the benefits of the product, alternative uses of the product, target market for the product and unique selling point of the product.

Each team will discuss the latter four about the product and report back to the teams. Although the assessors are watching you assume they are not there to keep you calm and collected. I've done this group interview and I know it is easy to say calm but when you there the adrenalin is just too much.

I am expecting my next interview with a manager of a department which will be in 10 days time. I need some help for this interview, any help very much appreciated.

Any questions are welcomed, wish all the best everybody for the next interview, thank you very much.
Reply 30
How do you apply for jobs in adsa because the careers site on the asda website doesnt seem to work properly.
Reply 31
maths1989
Hello fellow jobseekers

I had my asda group interview last week on friday and I passed, (North London) now I am expecting my third and last interview. I am gonna share my experience with you guys to help with your job hunting.

When you go to selection group interview, you will be in groups of five or six.

Firstly, a quick ice breaker,.,,, this getting to know each team member and presenting to all the teams. You ask your partner's name , why they want to work for ASDA and interesting fact about he/she. Note whatever your reason for wanting to work for ASDA or interesting fact about you should be linked to teamworking.

TIPS HERE IS TO BE CONFIDENT, ENTHUSIASTIC, EYE CONTACT AND LISTEN TO OTHER GROUPS INTENTLY.

Secondly, the presenter will give the teams a random product, it could be anything, my group's product was a mirror.

There are four assessor in the room. They are looking for 4 things. 1) Whether you can work in a team, 2) Are you a good listener?, 3) How well you interact with team members?, 4) Can you come with ideas yourself?.

Regarding the product, each teams will talk about the product that they were given. A team will talk about the benefits of the product, alternative uses of the product, target market for the product and unique selling point of the product.

Each team will discuss the latter four about the product and report back to the teams. Although the assessors are watching you assume they are not there to keep you calm and collected. I've done this group interview and I know it is easy to say calm but when you there the adrenalin is just too much.

I am expecting my next interview with a manager of a department which will be in 10 days time. I need some help for this interview, any help very much appreciated.

Any questions are welcomed, wish all the best everybody for the next interview, thank you very much.

hey what job are you applying for, and the next interviews prity easy compared to other companies, its just how have you shown/given good customer skills, when have you shown good listening skills, where do you see yourself in a years time (working for asda),are you okay doing the times, what would you change (say nothing).
Reply 32
Kaution
How do you apply for jobs in adsa because the careers site on the asda website doesnt seem to work properly.

Ask your local store.
Reply 33
Juggy123
hey what job are you applying for, and the next interviews prity easy compared to other companies, its just how have you shown/given good customer skills, when have you shown good listening skills, where do you see yourself in a years time (working for asda),are you okay doing the times, what would you change (say nothing).

Thank you, but can you please give me a little more detail.

My position is customer service assistant, at North London. The ASDA HR contacted me that you have passed your group screening test, but will arrange an interview with a manager of a department. Give me detail about what sort of questions are asked and tips to pass this interview, All the help very much appreciated. ty
Reply 34
maths1989
Thank you, but can you please give me a little more detail.

My position is customer service assistant, at North London. The ASDA HR contacted me that you have passed your group screening test, but will arrange an interview with a manager of a department. Give me detail about what sort of questions are asked and tips to pass this interview, All the help very much appreciated. ty

They have sheets with lots of standard interview questions like
-tell us a time when you have been a good listener / received great customer service / worked as part of a team
-what are you good at / bad at
-what would you like to be better at
-what do you like about Asda adverts

Mine was only ten minutes and she didn't ask all the questions just picked a few from the sheet so I can't really help any more. I think it doesn't really matter what the questions are they just want to see if they like you and you can have a reasonable conversation and are polite etc.
Reply 35
OhNuts
They have sheets with lots of standard interview questions like
-tell us a time when you have been a good listener / received great customer service / worked as part of a team
-what are you good at / bad at
-what would you like to be better at
-what do you like about Asda adverts

Mine was only ten minutes and she didn't ask all the questions just picked a few from the sheet so I can't really help any more. I think it doesn't really matter what the questions are they just want to see if they like you and you can have a reasonable conversation and are polite etc.

Ohnuts, what position do work at ,, customer service, shelf filler, or check-out. ASDA said to me they have no vacancies at the moment, but if anything arises they will arrange an interview, this means that I am on hold. I am really dissappointed, I ve now lost all hope as I belive all Christmas vacancieas are covered. Who knows I might get lucky.

Passing the group interview was the important interview, I think. Do you think the next interview is more challenging than the group interview?. If so, I have to prepare, prepare, and prepare.

Finally, Ohnuts thank you very much for all the help.

P.S If say I have no previous retail experince, if you he/she manager, gives a scenario, how do I have to deal with this. Thank u
Fusion
Supermarkets love hiring students. Who else will be content with being contracted few shifts and having plenty of time free for xmas/easter overtime.

I will agree with this...In our inductions, out of 17 people, only about 1/3 were what I will call 'older people' (just to make it easier to understand) the rest were students, not all temps, most of them were taken on permanant, but were at college or uni doing law degrees/courses etc & quite obviously weren't there for life! x
I had a job at sainsburys but i quit in 2 months, it was easy really, and my first job but it sucked.
allow tesco try fun retail like top shop, debenhmas, primark, matalan, heathrow airport....your a student enjoy mann!!
SianStrikedown
I had a job at sainsburys but i quit in 2 months, it was easy really, and my first job but it sucked.

What dept were you in? What sucked about it? The staff in the shop i'm in seem real nice & the managment seem keen to please the staff. My immediate boss is great. Maybe ive just been lucky. One older woman in my dept didn't wanna show me what to do today (its only my second day) and I wasn't totally confident to do a shop on my own at first, so another girl showed me. But apparently the older woman is a nice woman, just doesn't like showing new people what to do & likes working on her own. x

Latest

Trending

Trending