The Student Room Group

Can i learn the aqa history gcse in my spare time?

Hi everone, I'm in year 10 now and didn't pick history as an option (which i regret) do you think its possible- if i get the textbooks- to study it alone myself. If not are there any other options. Finally, if i could prove i was good enough, would the school pay for me to take the exam?
I don't think the textbooks alone will be enough. There are online GCSE courses for history, which I would recommend more than studying by yourself. I don't think there are offline colleges that do GCSE History, although I think you can take it via private tuition, which is needlessly more expensive than an online course.

I think the school budget only allows for a fixed number of GCSEs to be taken as exams.

Have you checked whether the school would allow you to do one more GCSE or if you can still swap one of your choices? It's difficult to catch up on work you missed, but if you work hard enough, you can catch up.

If you want to do history as an A Level subject, have you checked whether the entry requirements need you to take it as a GCSE? Sometimes you don't have to take the subject at GCSE level in order to do the subject at A Level. Failing that, there are always online A Level History courses you can take.
It’s totally do-able, it just depends on how much free time you have. History GCSE is basically just a whole load of knowledge and dates, and there is quite a lot of content to learn. I would recommend speaking to your history department at school, as well as looking into getting a history tutor to help solidify topics if your teachers are unwilling to help you.
Regarding the exam, schools don’t usually pay for the exams if you’re doing “outside” if you get what I mean, but they’re not very expensive so I’m sure that if you really wanted to you could save up some money and pay?
https://www.learndirect.com/course/gcse-history?gclid=CjwKCAiA8Jf-BRB-EiwAWDtEGuUabgPsHNnQfpfJF_UlJr5LSphLZgU5MGfN2EukCjlo2Y-QR54o_BoC52sQAvD_BwE yeah here does it. Then you could also get the textbook and maybe a private tutor towards the end.

Quick Reply

Latest