Road boi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My friend has got a Fiat Punto 5 door 2001 1.9 jtd. Its not been used since 2013, even before then it wasn't used much just because he's just been other vehicles and he's not forgot about it but he's just had new cars since so seen that as just a spare car. He bought it new in 2001, I think he just used it for a few years then just put it away because he didn't think it was reliable so it was left in a garage for years till 2013 when he just drove it about and he said it worked fine.

He just then put it away then, ever since its just not been used because I think its just been seen as a old car but we have realised it might not be just an old car. Its not been used much so its pretty much prestine condition, its extremely low mileage for its age and I think the interior is nice in it. Its like a blue interior and I like the exterior as well because its actually larger than the punto it got replaced by. Its a mark 2 pinto in like a dark blue colour. Im thinking of buying it off him if he agrees to selling it to me and it starts. Also if it does start how much would be a decent offer should I give him, I think its got about 17k miles on so very low. Also when he stopped using it has no fuel in it he did that just for safety so the tank is empty and the car has been kept in a dry place for sitting for 7/8 years in the garage.
Last edited by Road boi; 1 month ago
Road boi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Bump
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He actually would have been better off keeping fuel in it to prevent rust forming In the fuel system... I would do this before starting it;
Things to buy;
New battery
New fuel filter

Replace battery first, then put in fuel and let it prime, this may be manual or automatic you’ll have to look it up, if it is automatic it is just a case of turning on ignition but not starting engine. Then when you hear the fuel pump turn off, turn the ignition off and replace the fuel filter. This will prevent any residue from the fuel tank from blocking the fuel flow as it will be trapped in the old filter. Then start, presto drive away for about 10 miles before the panels start falling off because it’s a fiat and it’s rusted to hell.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As TheDe rightly said, it will need a new battery to start.

The brakes will be seized, but should free off if you can start the engine and stick in gear and try to move off. You still might need new brake pads and disks.

Expect to replace lots of rubber bits for it to be safe and reliable.
Tyres. Auxilliary belt, timing belt maybe some hoses.
It's also possible that the piston rings might be corroded onto the pistons. Which would prevent the engine from turning over and starting.

Maybe best bet is to temporarily borrow a battery from another car, stick some fuel in it and see if turns over and starts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (120)
63.16%
I don't have everything I need (70)
36.84%

Watched Threads