The Student Room Group

Would you date someone with severe anxiety

Or would you get put off?
If they told you on your first date

Scroll to see replies

Yeah. It’s not anything I would care much about. Expecting the person to be perfect or without flaws is unrealistic.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TheStarboy
Yeah. It’s not anything I would care much about. Expecting the person to be perfect or without flaws is unrealistic.

That’s nice of you!
Reply 3
No
Original post by Moonlight rain
That’s nice of you!

No problem. Honestly, those who are worth it will be able to work through any obstacle if it means being with you.
Original post by Road boi
No

Why not? Just wondering
Reply 6
no way, at least one of us needs to be freaking emotionally stable.
Reply 7
Why not? Just wondering

Its embarassing
Original post by TheStarboy
No problem. Honestly, those who are worth it will be able to work through any obstacle if it means being with you.

I agree
I wouldn’t mind, I’m pretty sure I have trait anxiety (not diagnosed) so at least we could relate about silly anxiety-triggering things that no else would understand.
Reply 10
I would. But it does not seem like something to bring up on a first date.
I think the more relevant question is - would people with severe anxiety allow others to love them? Can they learn to love themselves enough to let others in?
Original post by LovelyMrFox
I would. But it does not seem like something to bring up on a first date.

I would bring it up on the first date because it’s a massive part of my identity, and I feel like it needs to be said on the first date so they would be aware that I can be a lot to deal with sometimes
Original post by Quick-use
I think the more relevant question is - would people with severe anxiety allow others to love them? Can they learn to love themselves enough to let others in?

I have severe anxiety and I do truly love myself. And I always let people in, I’m a massive oversharer if anything
I have severe social anxiety myself, so probably not. We would just trigger each other.
Not sure how severe you mean. If it put unreasonable strain on the relationship and dragged me down too much then that'd probably make me double take. Willing to work through most issues though.
Reply 16
I would bring it up on the first date because it’s a massive part of my identity, and I feel like it needs to be said on the first date so they would be aware that I can be a lot to deal with sometimes

It couldnt wait for at least the second date though?
Dont see why not....If your right for each other then hopefully they should be more comfortable around you anyway, and should get better with time.
Short answer...yes.

Long answer, it depends on how it affects them and how it affects their relationship. I have bad anxiety too and if us being together and not being able to work things out would be bad for either one of us (or both), I wouldn't want to be romantically involved with that person.

You, for example, say you love yourself and are an oversharer. I would be much, much more likely to date you than date somebody who on the first date told me they hated themselves and had trust issues. Granted, trust is something that takes time and I can accept, but if from the get go things are looking bad, it's not exactly drawing me into continuing things.
Yeah, of course. I would date someone if they were someone I liked and wouldn't matter if they had severe anxiety , I'd also try to help them and support them.

Quick Reply

Latest