The Student Room Group

how to include work experience in my personal statement?

i’m applying for politics and international relations. i tutored gcse english language students during year 12 but i’m not sure how to go about including this in my personal statement and how i could link it to my course.

any advice would be much appreciated :smile:)
Original post by rkhhx
i’m applying for politics and international relations. i tutored gcse english language students during year 12 but i’m not sure how to go about including this in my personal statement and how i could link it to my course.

maybe think about the skills you gained from the tutoring, and then somehow link those skills to the course you're applying for, or link them to how it may help you at university

hope that helps x
Original post by rkhhx

Hey @rkhhx yeah I agree with the above. The skills you gained from tutoring will be relevant so think about those and how you can show you'll be suited to the Politics and IR course. You might want to think particularly about people, communication and leadership skills. You'll want to talk about being an effective communicator and being able to get your point across to people. You may also chat about leadership skills and how you approached your tutoring style :smile: All of these skills are great for any university course but in the context of Politics and IR you may want to discuss how they will develop your tact and diplomacy, as well as confidence.

Good luck with it!!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
You don't need to link tutoring to your chosen course, and you don't really need to talk about skills when you are applying for an academic course
Hello

Definitely list the important skills that you gained as a result for starters onto your personal statement. For example you can add in key skills like teamwork and weave other skills like communication into the document too.
Also provide some real life examples of situations when you needed to use those life skills to help others at work. In terms of the skills that are important focus particularly on their importance and then describe why they might be very useful in the workplace.
Ask yourself why are they crucial to success? Consider what can happen if you did not possess those vital skills and qualities. Discuss the importance of having a impeccable time keeping ability etc. Also expand on the importance of demonstrating people skills and the like. Same applies for empathy and so on. Give enough detail to convince whoever reads the statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending