thereseb1230
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have recently got back all my offers, however i now must make a decision on which one to choose and I really dont know what to choose? Is there much difference really between a PGCE / PGDE other than the fact one has more credits than the other? I have heard some people say that they are the same and heard others say that a PGDE isnt recognised by many employers??? I am leaning towards the PGDE because i liked the uni interview morning but i dont want to choose it if i will struggle getting a job? Is it recognized in northern ireland???
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thereseb1230)
I have recently got back all my offers, however i now must make a decision on which one to choose and I really dont know what to choose? Is there much difference really between a PGCE / PGDE other than the fact one has more credits than the other? I have heard some people say that they are the same and heard others say that a PGDE isnt recognised by many employers??? I am leaning towards the PGDE because i liked the uni interview morning but i dont want to choose it if i will struggle getting a job? Is it recognized in northern ireland???
Hello thereseb1230

You don't need either the PGCE/PGDE to gain employment in England and Wales, as you must have QTS (Qualified Teachers Status) However, NI and Scotland prefer a PGCE or PGDE too. Having said that, both NI and Scotland will allow and observe the QTS qualification.

The difference in the PGCE/PGDE is the amount of work and the amount of masters levels credits you'd earn. As the PGDE have many more credits, it also incurs additional work/assignments. Both qualifications are internationally recognised, as an academic study of pedagogy. (The QTS part is the vocational and practical part of the initial teacher education - ITE course.) The academic study within the PGCE/DE offers you a great foundation to build your teaching practice upon, and so I feel is worth-while doing!

All the best

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads