Moving to the UK from the US

Watch
hbt5993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I currently live in the US, I am nearly 18 and want to move to the UK to study aerospace engineering. I have top grades here but I don't know how this will translate over or if any apprenticeships will accept this due to not having taken any GCSE/ A-Levels.
I have missed the deadline to apply for universities this year in the UK, so I was considering moving here to do an apprenticeship and then potentially apply to university after I have finished this to further my chances of being accepted.
I really couldn't find much help online for this unique situation so any advice or information that people may have will be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
The deadline for applying to universities in the UK is in January, you haven’t missed it! Although it is quite close so I guess if you started preparing your application now you may not have time to meet the deadline as personal statements & references can take a while. If you have top grades in the US then these should be recognised in the UK, but usually it will depend on the university as some value international education systems differently.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hbt5993)
I currently live in the US, I am nearly 18 and want to move to the UK to study aerospace engineering. I have top grades here but I don't know how this will translate over or if any apprenticeships will accept this due to not having taken any GCSE/ A-Levels.
I have missed the deadline to apply for universities this year in the UK, so I was considering moving here to do an apprenticeship and then potentially apply to university after I have finished this to further my chances of being accepted.
I really couldn't find much help online for this unique situation so any advice or information that people may have will be greatly appreciated.
What is your nationality? If you don't have British citizenship then you'll need to look at what the immigration requirements are (e.g. what sort of visa you might need, how easy is to get, etc).

If you are a British citizen then there aren't any immigration requirements.

Irrespective of your nationality, you'll need to look into what fees you'll have to pay. My understanding (which might be wrong) is that you'll need to have been in the UK for three years before the start of your university course to qualify for home tuition fees.

You'll also need to look into whether you qualify for student loans.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads