Watch
R.Ummulkhayr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi

I need someone to help me out please.
Am an international student, got here at UK in October.
Now, am planning to enrol for studying, but from my country(Nigeria) where I have been studying earlier, I am already in my third year in the university, but due to some reason I had to quit to travel.

In short, the highest qualification I have now is Olevel which is the West African council examination certificate for completion of secondary school and i have the results in courses as a science student.

On planning on enrolling here at UK to further into university, what do I do, GSCE or Alevel? Where do I do GSCE or Alevel because both are an entry requirement for the course I want to study in the university?

I need response from anyone please..thanks!!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by R.Ummulkhayr)
Hi

I need someone to help me out please.
Am an international student, got here at UK in October.
Now, am planning to enrol for studying, but from my country(Nigeria) where I have been studying earlier, I am already in my third year in the university, but due to some reason I had to quit to travel.

In short, the highest qualification I have now is Olevel which is the West African council examination certificate for completion of secondary school and i have the results in courses as a science student.

On planning on enrolling here at UK to further into university, what do I do, GSCE or Alevel? Where do I do GSCE or Alevel because both are an entry requirement for the course I want to study in the university?

I need response from anyone please..thanks!!!
How old are you?
On what basis are you in the UK? Do you have unlimited leave to remain?
How are you expecting to finance your education?
R.Ummulkhayr
Rep:
?
19 years
a dependent. For a year though, but will renew when I start studying ( for a student visa)
myself
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by R.Ummulkhayr)
19 years
a dependent. For a year though, but will renew when I start studying ( for a student visa)
myself
On the basis that you have enough money to finance yourself:

At your age you have three options:

1. Do GCSE and A levels at a further education college, there is normally one in the town or city where you are living, there are several in London if you live there. You will need GCSE English and Maths as a minimum. You normally need a grade 6/7 for any subject you wish to take at A level.
Finding a college that offers A levels is increasingly rare. Some A levels like sciences can be much more expensive than others.

You can find local colleges using this site. Select the correct colleges and not schools. You can enter postcodes and do a radius search from where you are. You can then google the colleges you are interested in to see what they offer.
https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/

2. The alternative is to teach yourself GCSE, maybe get a tutor or pay for an online course, which is basically a set of notes plus some access to a tutor. I am not sure that will work for visa purposes. There are many providers. Here is an example.
You then do the course plus find a private exam centre to sit the exams at, which costs additional money.
https://cloudlearn.co.uk/Courses/Onl...SE-Courses/100
https://cloudlearn.co.uk/Courses/Onl...el-Courses/101

3. The third method is to do an Access to higher education diploma , which is a 1 year course and will get you into most universities and most courses. It may not get you into the top universities and top stem courses. They are used specifically to get into uni and are not much known about internationally, is if you want an international qualification that can travel with you to employers or other unis, then A levels might be a better choice.
These are normally what colleges run and they cater for mature students without substantial formal qualifications. If you do one of these, then make sure you get GCSE English and Maths as well.
You can locate the colleges just by entering your city and put in access course or use the college finder I supplied.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/

You can also talk to UK careers for free plus use their website

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/contact-us

That should be enough to get you started.

College intakes are not till September. Online dont care.
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It would be worth checking with universities to see if they would accept the school-leaver qualifications you already have. They can’t list every international qualification on the uni website, but you might find they would accept your qualifications which would save you repeating school qualifications.
R.Ummulkhayr
Rep:
?
thanks a lot...I really appreciate this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (10)
14.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (12)
17.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (31)
45.59%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (12)
17.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads