Pupillage, despite 2:ii & GDL re-sit(with mitigating circs) but debating wins & pro b

Watch
SSTV
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How likely is getting *any London or elsewhere* pupillage, with:

- 2:ii - Literature - Lancaster (top 7 uni) - Mitigating circumstances of parental death
- GDL - pass

- Mediocre A levels
- 13 fine GCSEs, 4 A*s but all in arts and performing arts
- Grade 5 ballet and taught
- Won lots of competitions throughout school and university nationally in ballet and contemporary dance also choreographed
- Was on the Gifted and Talented Register (top 5% of state school pupils)
- From a deprived, inner-city, single parent, substance abuse, free school meals, special measures school, an immigrant family without network, guidance and in a rough area. Will this be taken into account at all?

WORK
- After uni, marketing for a small construction firm
- Waitressing and hospitality from age 13 and at uni, part-time, on and off.
- Worked at 2 startups

LEGAL EXPERIENCE
- lots of probono; student director of Citizen's Advice + city firm project; 2 years at the PSU at the RCJ and Central Family Court; lots of other small probono such as form filling etc.
- 1 month shadowing small non-city, London high st firm - was offered TC at the end - will me mentioning this strengthen or weaken my application? I feel mentioning may highlight I did not get a better TC...

Advocacy
- Highest A* in my school for public speaking exam 100% at GCSE
- Throughout high school and university selected to represent at national and international tournaments, securing some semi finals spots
- president of the debate union at uni
- Mooting sessions

- I currently have mediocre degree references

Will doing really well on the BTC help my chances?

I feel my only chance is to;
i) take the 2 Graduate LLb modules and get a 2:i or 1st overall making my GDL an LLB Hons 2:i or 1st. But will recuiters see this as a legitimate degree?
ii) Then self fund the BTC (as it's unlikely I'll get a scholarship?), get excellent grades and references, also do the 2 modules to convert to LLM getting a 2:i or 1st class grade.

In the mean time during pupillage aplications/ starting the BTC, I'd like to start my small TC/ LPC as a back-up career, to still be a lawyer if I can't obtain pupillage. However, I've been told this will diminish my pupilage chances. Is it true? I heard I need to work as a paralegal or at a legal type NGO instead. Would managing a legal charity's office/ paid work at a probon centre be sufficient?

I don't mind which area of law I go into at the bar, I understand commercial and chancery would be far out of my reach.

Any substantiated advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Last edited by SSTV; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SSTV)
How likely is getting *any London or elsewhere* pupillage, with:

- 2:ii - Literature - Lancaster (top 7 uni) - Mitigating circumstances of parental death
- GDL - 2 resits - Mitigating circumstances of parent's substance abuse and mental illness getting us kicked out of our home (Grandparent death also happened at this time, can use this if people think it will help/ be a more suitable mitigating circumstance? I fear it may be deemed unprofessional to divulge so much of my personal life and look like a liar too)

- Mediocre A levels
- 13 fine GCSEs, 4 A*s but all in arts and performing arts
- Grade 5 ballet and taught
- Won lots of competitions throughout school and university nationally in ballet and contemporary dance also choreographed
- Was on the Gifted and Talented Register (top 5% of state school pupils)
- From a deprived, inner-city, single parent, substance abuse, free school meals, special measures school, an immigrant family without network, guidance and in a rough area. Will this be taken into account at all?

WORK
- After uni, marketing for a small construction firm
- Waitressing and hospitality from age 13 and at uni, part-time, on and off.
- Worked at 2 startups; sales for fin-tech; co founder of a business consultancy comapany that never fully launched

LEGAL EXPERIENCE
- lots of probono; student director of Citizen's Advice + city firm project; 2 years at the PSU at the RCJ and Central Family Court; lots of other small probono such as form filling etc.
- 1 month shadowing small non city, London high st firm - was offered TC at the end - will me mentioning this strengthen or weaken my applcation? I feel mentioning may highlight I did not get a better TC...

Advocacy
- Highest A* in my school for public speaking exam 100% at GCSE
- Throughout high school and university selected to represent at national and international tournaments, securing some semi finals spots
- president of the debate union at uni
- Mooting sessions

- I currently have mediocre degree references

Will doing really well on the BTC help my chances?

I feel my only chance is to;
i) take the 2 Graduate LLb modules and get a 2:i or 1st overall making my GDL an LLB Hons 2:i or 1st. But will recuiters see this as a legitimate degree?
ii) Then self fund the BTC (as it's unlikely I'll get a scholarship?), get excellent grades and references, also do the 2 modules to convert to LLM getting a 2:i or 1st class grade.

In the mean time during pupillage aplications/ starting the BTC, I'd like to start my small TC/ LPC as a back-up career, to still be a lawyer if I can't obtain pupillage. However, I've been told this will diminish my pupilage chances. Is it true? I heard I need to work as a paralegal or at a legal type NGO instead. Would managing a legal charity's office/ paid work at a probon centre be sufficient?

I don't mind which area of law I go into at the bar, I understand commercial and chancery would be far out of my reach.

Any substantiated advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
My feeling is that you will stuggle to get a pupillage (being brutally honest) and I would personally switch to aiming to get a TC instead (I see you were already offered one) as although these are also fiercely competitive, they are less so than getting a pupillage.

I have clicked the "report" function on your post only to ask the mods to move it to the legal forum where you will hopefully be able to get advice from practicing barristers like Crazy Jamie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (300)
55.66%
I don't have everything I need (239)
44.34%

Watched Threads