Should I purchase used university textbooks or brand new?

Watch
hemdinho
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Which one is the better option I am an international relations student and I textbooks urgently but used textbooks are significantly cheaper but are they worth it for university
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hemdinho)
Which one is the better option I am an international relations student and I textbooks urgently but used textbooks are significantly cheaper but are they worth it for university
Make sure you get the correct edition.
Depends how much you like new books and how much money you have.
If the book is in decent condition and you can get it for a good price 50-60%, then I would take the second hand copy. You can also sell that on at the end of your year assuming its still in edition.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you find the correct edition, then definitely go for used, especially if they already have neat notes written on them.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are copies of the recommended textbooks in the university library so it's possible to read what you need for free tbh. Its pretty unusual for a student to buy all the recommended textbooks. The module leader typically produces quite an extensive list but only a small number are essential for the whole module, some of them might have a chapter that's maybe relevant to one lecture.

I'd say be aware that books change between editions... but often large parts can stay exactly the same. buying an old edition and being careful (i.e. checking the important bits against the latest edition in the library when it's essay time) could be a strategy if you're short of money.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get a up to date edition
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Make sure you get the correct edition.
Depends how much you like new books and how much money you have.
If the book is in decent condition and you can get it for a good price 50-60%, then I would take the second hand copy. You can also sell that on at the end of your year assuming its still in edition.
Thank you for the advice
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Used
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya!

In my first year I bought one textbook through the university as they offered a 15% discount through their partnered book seller. However, for the rest of my textbooks I have hired them from the uni or bought them second hand from ebay where they have been a lot cheaper! Make sure you check on your university's online library first to see if they have an online e-copy of the textbook you're interested in to save yourself money. I always have found the recommended core textbooks suggested for each module to apply and be very useful.

Sam- Official Student Rep
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey hemdinho,

It mainly depends on if they are still useable and don't have too many notes etc on them but also I would try and made sure that you get the right edition (as someone else did also point out) just because if lecturers are referencing pages it is easier if you have the right edition.
I know Blackwells sells used books and you can go in and have a look at them before you buy which might be useful. They also do a price match on Amazon, Waterstones and WHSmith, which I have found useful if I need to book immediately.

I hope this helps and do let us know if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina 😊
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hey hemdinho,

It mainly depends on if they are still useable and don't have too many notes etc on them but also I would try and made sure that you get the right edition (as someone else did also point out) just because if lecturers are referencing pages it is easier if you have the right edition.
I know Blackwells sells used books and you can go in and have a look at them before you buy which might be useful. They also do a price match on Amazon, Waterstones and WHSmith, which I have found useful if I need to book immediately.

I hope this helps and do let us know if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina 😊
Thank you amina!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi hemdinho
The first thing I would suggest doing is having a look at your university library ! At my uni (Lancaster) we have lots of resources both physical copies and digital copies which are available for us to use ! Sometimes I found that I would need to read something only once so it was easier to borrow / access resources available. During my first year I did buy a lot of books which was expensive especially as someone of them I barely used ! My uni also currently has a local bookstore on campus which is helpful. So I would reckoned consulting your uni library and maybe even asking lecturers if you need physical copies of everything ! Sometimes used books can be helpful to read other notes (as long as they are right) but if it’s books for exams you might need clean copies ! So see what your uni suggests doing.

Good look finding your books !
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly
Last edited by Lancaster Student Ambassador; 1 month ago
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi hemdinho

In first year I got all new textbooks which were quite expensive. So, in second and third year I decided to first see if the books/editions I needed were available second hand. I also checked if some books were available online or in the library. This saved me a lot of money. And I was also able to resell some of the books.

Zaira
Last edited by hallamstudents; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads