Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to talk bout how urbanization affects the natural environment and perhaphs its the time, but I can't seem to think of a good example.

I was thinking the Trans-Amazon highway and how it affected areas of the amazon basin rainforest.....but after some searching online it occurred to me that I don't know that much about it.... or if its even still active ? Oh dear...

Any ideas or different examples?

ReputationRep:
    There is quite a lot of info on it out there, and it is quite a good example. There is also the continual building on flood plains in south east England in particular if you want a UK example.

Not really urbanisation, but the construction of dams is quite controversial.

Australia and the drought. I think they are having to bring in water recycling is they haven't already done so and are needing to pump water across to Western Australia.

Natural/environmental hazards are a good thing to look into too.

ReputationRep:
    You need to remember that the effects of urbanization don't necessarily have an impact within close proximity of said area, and that's something an examiner would be pleased to see, that you were able to recognize that.

A good way to demonstrate you understand this is to make reference to pollution having a world-wide effect and not simply changing the environment within the urbanized area.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 23, 2008

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.