Does anyone else feel ‘off’ about Year 13?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m not saying this to gloat, but in Year 12 I feel as though I was ahead with A levels and even applied to Oxford because I felt confident in myself (which is new for me because I have anxiety and always doubt my efforts - I’ve withdrawn lmao), but in the past 3 months I’ve been off school for 3 weeks due to other students self-isolating, then our entire school closing, so I feel, well...isolated.
I don’t have long to type this, but I’m just wondering if anyone else hates being unaware as to whether they’ll be in school from one day to the next? I know it can’t be helped and none of us are psychics. Yet, so many students in my classes, myself included, seem disengaged and I had no idea it was Christmas in a few weeks since we’ve had coursework throw upon us which had to be postponed due to doing mocks later too.
Again, I know these are unprecedented times, but surely the government can cut us some slack? I’m studying from 8am-10pm, taking only 3 hours worth of breaks tops (lunch, dinner, shower) on weekends and the during the week (obviously with lessons involved), but I still feel extremely behind.
Gah, this year is crazy.
ek2003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m not saying this to gloat, but in Year 12 I feel as though I was ahead with A levels and even applied to Oxford because I felt confident in myself (which is new for me because I have anxiety and always doubt my efforts - I’ve withdrawn lmao), but in the past 3 months I’ve been off school for 3 weeks due to other students self-isolating, then our entire school closing, so I feel, well...isolated.
I don’t have long to type this, but I’m just wondering if anyone else hates being unaware as to whether they’ll be in school from one day to the next? I know it can’t be helped and none of us are psychics. Yet, so many students in my classes, myself included, seem disengaged and I had no idea it was Christmas in a few weeks since we’ve had coursework throw upon us which had to be postponed due to doing mocks later too.
Again, I know these are unprecedented times, but surely the government can cut us some slack? I’m studying from 8am-10pm, taking only 3 hours worth of breaks tops (lunch, dinner, shower) on weekends and the during the week (obviously with lessons involved), but I still feel extremely behind.
Gah, this year is crazy.
Hi, I think a lot of people in year 13 feel exactly the same, me included. Almost everyday a guy comes into classrooms with a massive 2 metre ruler and rotates it around where a student that's self isolating with the virus had sat before to determine who needs to isolate for 2 weeks, luckily I haven't had to isolate yet but it's very likely that I will at some point. In my psychology class the vast majority of students have stopped trying so hard due being drained from being set a ridiculous amount of homework to "make up for the time we lost last year", there's always some massive deadline looming over me, and if I have so much as an hour or two where I have a break in a day, the work builds up and up. The government seems to have nearly forgotten year 13 to be honest, pushing exams back by 3 weeks isn't gonna make up for the months of content we missed last year or the weeks people are still missing due to isolation now. I think the best thing to remember is that there's thousands of people going through exactly the same uncertainties and difficulties as us, and that we just have to keep going. I know my college and lots of others in the area are all emailing their concerns to the government about how unfair it is for us, if the government receives enough pressure to make changes to the way we are examined, maybe things will seem a bit less daunting for us when it's exam time. At least now that a vaccine has been approved an end to this crazy time is finally in sight.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I love you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I love you
Awh I love you too, thank you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ek2003)
Hi, I think a lot of people in year 13 feel exactly the same, me included. Almost everyday a guy comes into classrooms with a massive 2 metre ruler and rotates it around where a student that's self isolating with the virus had sat before to determine who needs to isolate for 2 weeks, luckily I haven't had to isolate yet but it's very likely that I will at some point. In my psychology class the vast majority of students have stopped trying so hard due being drained from being set a ridiculous amount of homework to "make up for the time we lost last year", there's always some massive deadline looming over me, and if I have so much as an hour or two where I have a break in a day, the work builds up and up. The government seems to have nearly forgotten year 13 to be honest, pushing exams back by 3 weeks isn't gonna make up for the months of content we missed last year or the weeks people are still missing due to isolation now. I think the best thing to remember is that there's thousands of people going through exactly the same uncertainties and difficulties as us, and that we just have to keep going. I know my college and lots of others in the area are all emailing their concerns to the government about how unfair it is for us, if the government receives enough pressure to make changes to the way we are examined, maybe things will seem a bit less daunting for us when it's exam time. At least now that a vaccine has been approved an end to this crazy time is finally in sight.
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes! Completely agree with you. It’s true that hopefully with the vaccine confirmed, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, but right now I feel like if I take a break too, I’m even more behind! But we’re all in the same boat (albeit a sinking one) and will do fine.
Bibi Hanifa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I totally get it. I feel like this year has ruined everything for me. My whole life which I have had planned out since I was 4 has been ruined because of 2020.... Year 13 which was supposed to be the best year of my life has turned into the biggest nightmare I have ever had... 😢😢😢😢
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (251)
57.18%
I don't have everything I need (188)
42.82%

Watched Threads