Don't if I'm achieving enough for my age

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have turned 20 a few months ago. I know my situation is not the worst but I feel like I need to change urgently. I just worry sometimes worry that it might be late to change. I don’t have the money to move out, Im currently saving up for a car for when I pass my test, I feel like I should have a car buy now since I’m an adult . I feel like shouldn’t be at college at this as well for my age, I don’t feel confident about it , I feel like should be working full time like every other adult and I should have my own house or at least flat with a girlfriend. I go to college and have a small job which Id rather not say but it’s not enough to get me house. I know a woman who had a kid at 19. I just compare myself to so many other people and I shouldn’t but I just do it and I want to stop.

There are days when I feel confident about myself but other times I just stop and start comparing myself to people. I just get down all the time about it when I do compare myself to people. I was talking to my uncle and he told me that he did move out till he was in his 30s so that kind of made me feel better but than my auntie moved out at 19, my parents also moved out and got married when my mum was 17. I think I do well compared to my friends because some of them haven’t had a single driving lesson but I have and I’m pretty much on the way to passing my test. It’s just I still get down about if I’m doing alright or not it happens quite often like now I’m going through that phrase.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t compare yourself with other people.
I’m older than you and don’t have a car and live at home. Am I concerned? No. Because I’m doing what’s right for me. Everyone progresses through life differently.
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At your age it can all seem really urgent, but it really isn't. You're earning some money, doing some education and learning to drive... That's a lot. You can't really expect to earn enough for independent life until you've completed your current education (at least). Cars and especially car insurance are a big financial drain, especially for under-25s, so best avoided until really needed. You're doing OK.
YatoSan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I wouldn’t worry about it!

I’m going to college and staying at home for two years after my A Levels to do art, so I’ll be moving out and going to university when I’m nearly 21! I wouldn’t worry so much about it: nobody will you expect you to get your dream career in your 20s

It might not seem like it for you, but it’s not very common to have children before you’re 20!
Margo.22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I understand you, a few years ago, when I was your age, I was also visited by such thoughts.
I compared myself to others and thought, why haven't I achieved something like them yet?
I thought I was behind them.
Although only 2 of my 10 friends were successful, I did not want to compare myself with the other 8 friends, but only with the best ones.
It seemed to me that they had a wonderful life, but I did not.
But then I found out that they work so hard because they never had any support from their parents, that they are unhappy in a relationship, that they have a lot of problems.
And since then I have stopped comparing myself to others.
I believe that everything has its time.
So do you. You will get a great job, buy a house, a car, but when your time comes. Don't demand too much from yourself.
Dee-Emma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Reported
Why? Do you feel that anything I posted was inappropriate? Have I not fully understood your situation?
Last edited by Dee-Emma; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dee-Emma)
Why? Do you feel that anything I posted was inappropriate? Have I not fully understood your situation?
They are a common troll on here, ignore them.
SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having a kid at 19 isn't really an accomplishment, I'm sure she loves her child more than anything else in the world but that's not an easy thing to go through at that age.

Everyone progresses at their own speed.
The only real question you should be asking yourself is - are you happy?
And if not the what can you do to make yourself happy.
northener_3006
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone has different journeys in life. At the end of the day, your journey is gunna make you the amazing person you are. Don’t stress about it and don’t compare yourself cos doing that won’t achieve anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (145)
62.23%
I don't have everything I need (88)
37.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed